Chapter 18 - Preparing - (Short)

Error's POV

A scientist injected chemicals into my arm while Ink fixed his wounds. Guards stood in the room, completely silent which gave me an awkward feeling.

The door opened and Ink's father walked in. I clenched my hand into a fist.

???: The project is ready to be drafted.

Me: I'm not fully trained.

???: Doesn't matter. The other scientists and I have come up with the idea that you will evolve faster when under pressure. So you are going to war, because what matters is you ensuring our victory.

Anger inside of me caused me to step out of line. I stood up abruptly, a syringe still in my arm. I took it out and threw it to the floor, pieces of glass scattering throughout the tiles. I walked up to Ink's father, who was a little shorter than me. Both of us were tall. The guards pointed guns at my head.

Me: Too scared to fight for yourself? Fucking weakling. And what if I don't evolve and I get killed. What will you do then? Scream for someone to come save your sorry ass?

???: Repurpose your radiation and components to make a better model. Who is more obedient and knows where their place is. So I suggest you step back in line or you will be deactivated.

Ink's father stared menacingly at me. His normal emotionless facade was completely gone. I took a step back because to me, deactivation was a death threat. It was different from a shut down. Being deactivated would mean that I would never get to be with Ink, which made me scared just by thinking about it.

I sat down on the chair again and lifted my arm towards the scientist that was originally injecting chemicals into it. They didn't do anything so I don't see the point in threatening them.

Ink stood between me and his father a little off to the side, completely shocked by my sudden outburst of rage. He walked over to me to hold my hand to calm me down, which worked. I gently squeezed Ink's hand in return.

Everyone left the room, leaving only Ink and I. My boyfriend sat next to me before leaning against my shoulder. I thought for a second while holding my wound from the syringe.

Me: I guess I don't have a choice. I have to go.

Ink: Yeah, once they have settled on something, they won't let go of it.

Ink pushed himself up and stared at me.

Ink: I'm coming with you.

Me: That's really dangerous, Ink. I would never forgive myself if I let you get in harm's way.

Ink: Error, I have to do this it's my job.

Me: ... Fine... just...

Stay close to me