Chapter 21 - Arguing

My eyes opened but my vision was far from clear. I pushed myself up however, I suddenly winced from a sharp pain in my chest. Looking down, I saw bandages wrapped tightly around my torso. My blood had stained the fabric.

  I didn't know where I was but I instantly recognized it as the Contra facility. I was alone in a room in a hospital bed. As I sat in silence, I tried to remember what had happened. My memory was foggy.

  The door busted open and I saw a group of scientists and... my father.

Father: Ink!

Me: Father.

  I scoffed as I looked away. Father grabbed a chair before sitting next to the bed. He started to check me for any problems. I pulled away from him.

Me: I don't need your pity. Just go away.

Father: I'm making sure you're not going to die.

Me: I didn't know you cared so much.

  I growled sarcastically. Father looked up at me with a serious expression.

Father: I do.

Me: Then why did you neglect me? What's your fucking flawless excuse?

  I heard Father slightly raise his voice.

Father: Because I had to, Ink. When your mother and I were working on the Project, I wanted to keep you away from it.

Me: Why? Error has done nothing and is harmless.

  He sighed quietly.

Father: Ink, I don't think you understand how dangerous the Project actually is. Look.

  I watched him as he stood up. He walked to a table near the wall and grabbed a tablet. After a few minutes of him tapping on the screen, he came back. The screen was turned around for me to a see a video. It seemed to be from the POV of a helicopter.

  The scene that I saw was utterly shocking. Everything was completely destroyed. Giant cracks were in the earth, tall buildings were torn to the ground, and the dead bodies of soldiers were everywhere. This was something that I couldn't even begin to imagine.

Me: Oh my god. He did all that?

Father: Yes. It got mentally unstable, resulting in a catastrophic outcome. It killed several people on the enemy side but... we lost men as well during the outburst.

Me: Where is Error?

Father: We don't know. It was gone when we came to save you. Although, I suspect that the enemy has it.

Me: We have to save him.

Father: The scientists and I are already devising a plan but you have to stay out of it.

  My eyes widened as I stared at my father with an offended look.

Me: What?! Why?

Father: You don't need to get involved because you're not in the state to fight.

Me: Like hell I am!

  I sneered at my father before using my hands to push myself out of the bed. I stood up when my feet made contact with the floor. However, my legs gave out from under me which caused me to fall. My father sighed at my attempt to walk.

Father: Like I said... not in the state to fight.

Me: Shut up, dad.

  I groaned as I used the railings of the bed to pull myself up. One of other scientists helped me back into the bed. They started to check my body while father talked to me. Father put a leg over the other and crossed his arms.

Father: You're going to be bedridden for about a week. You were compromised by a sniper. Despite you having a resistance to bullets.

  A scoff escaped my mouth.

Me: I'm only resistant because I don't have a soul. And that... was your fault.

Father: I know it's my fault. I've already apologized. I'll do it again. I'm sorry I conducted an experiment on you.

  My anger increased. I raised my hand and slapped my father.

Me: You can't apologize for what you did. I can't have another soul that will work with me. A person only gets one.

  Father didn't show emotion as he looked back at me.

Father: I have to go. There are things that need to be done.

  He followed the other scientists out of the room but stopped at the doorway. Father avoided my eyesight.

Father: I may not show it but just know... that I still love you, Ink.

  I watched him as he left the room, leaving my alone to my thoughts. I thought about my lack of soul. Then it dawned on me. Error must think that I'm dead because I don't have a soulbeat.

  I was fixing to get out of bed but I stopped. I remembered that I couldn't walk.

Me: Fuck. Error... wherever you are, just hang on.

  My eyes looked around when it spotted my brown scarf. Grabbing it, I wrapped it around my neck for comfort. Ever since I can remember, my brown scarf was always my source of serenity. Especially when I was kid. My parents abandoned me but the brown scarf was always there.

  I suddenly felt a nauseous feeling in my stomach. Bending over the bed, I threw up. I stared at the inky black vomit before laying down.

'Stay calm, Ink. Everything will be fine.'

  Watered down ink rolled down my cheeks as I buried myself into my scarf. I tried to stay calm.

Me: ...

Everything will be fine