09

the door knob turned.

lee areum opened the door, finding an empty bed in a white room. her eyes scanned the room, searching for jimin who was sitting in the corner, near the window.

his hands covered his ears.

"jimin?" she called him. she licked her lips.

the whole room was unnaturally silent. she noticed that his eyes were shut tightly and his lips moved as if he was chanting something again and again.

"leave her alone." he repeated.

she wrinkled her nose. "jimin?"

"leave her alone." he muttered, after he bit the inside of his cheek.

she kneeled down, and shook his shoulders. "jimin, are you alright?"

he shivered because of her touch. his eyes flew open, and locked eyes with hers. "areum, where am i?" he asked, leaving her perplexed.

"in the hospital, jimin but why-" he interrupted her by grabbing her arm and holding onto it for dear life.

beads of sweat ran down his forehead, as he said apprehensively, "save me, areum. they're coming for me. save me from them please." 

she didn't understand a thing. "wha-jimin, there's no one."

he glanced back as if someone was actually chasing him.

"no, they're coming for me. they'll kill me! save me." he pleaded, holding her hand.

"jimin i swear-"

"no, you won't understand. they're like my dad, they're merciless. they won't hesitate to kill me." he desperately, tears slid down his cheeks.

she immediately wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. "jimin, there's no one." she comforted him.

 "but then why-" she interrupted him by hugging him tightly. "calm down, don't you trust me?" 

he started to calm down in her arms, he buried his head in the crook of her neck. "i do." he whispered, his voice barely audible.

"then trust me, there's no one." she whispered. he ran his fingers through her hair, while she buried her head in his chest. tears slid down her cheeks, but she remained silent.

they stood like that for a while, sometimes a hug could do so much.

his fingers played with the strands of her hair. "areum?"

"yeah?"

"i don't think i can take this pain anymore. it's too much for me, i'd rather die." she stroked his hair, locking eyes with him.

"what if-what if they come for me again?" he asked, a hint of fear in his voice.

she quietly interlocked their hands.

"jimin, as long as i'm here, no one will come for you again." she promised.

he locked eyes with her and nodded. he believed it.

***

sometimes, a lie is necessary.