Ch. 29

< -- twenty - nine -- >

• •

The sound of our doorbell almost made me jump out of my skin. Taking a step back I looked towards the hall as whoever rang the doorbell knocked. Part of me knew I needed to answer the door or else they would ring it again but I needed to know who my mom was talking to. Who was trying to come to my party?

Taking in a shaky deep breath I slowly moved in front of the cracked door finding mom in the same spot. Phone pressed firmly against her ear, she covered her other ear to block out the noise. "You need to trust me for once."

The doorbell rang again followed by a more persistent knock. Mentally groaning at the disturbance I left mom's room jogging downstairs as a man raised his hand to ring the doorbell again. "Yeah?" I cleared my throat hearing the irritation it held. It wasn't his fault that I was eavesdropping and got interrupted. "Yes?" I opened the glass door.

"Is this the Crawford's residence?" The tall man with dark brown hair dressed in a white button down and khakis asked. On the right side of his shirt in pink cursive read GiGi's Cupcakes.

"Yes sir."

"Great." He smiled. "Do you know where Mrs. Crawford would like her cupcakes to be placed?"

Looking over my shoulder in the direction of the kitchen I knew we didn't have enough space. "Aren't you guys early? The cupcakes will be sitting out all day."

"We aren't done making them. I came early to look at the venue."

Not caring where the cupcakes would be placed I told him to put them in front of my house. Happy with the answer GiGi walked off with his assistant getting in a white van with his logo on the side. Looking back to the stage I found Sanai still sitting by herself at the edge of the stage. Ethan was behind her at the keyboard trying to look interested in the keys while glancing at her.

Within two hours people were all around. Tables were semi full while my neighbors' yards were filled with laughter as people played their games. The smell of barbeque surrounded us while the sun shined brightly above.

Little kids laughed and ran tossing water balloons while the older kids jumped and dodged during their own game of water guns. People talking about any and everything while Modern Blissed played music on stage.

I was happy to find my little sister running with the other kids enjoying herself. Her ginger hair was wet with water in several spots from a water balloon that six year old Jensen threw. William high fived the kid then immediately ran for cover once Ellie got her hands on two balloons.

Mom kept herself busy being a social butterfly. Her pale pink dress flowed as she moved through the crowds of people. Stopping here to talk and there to ask if they needed anything, she kept a smile on her face that looked to be genuine.

Nodding my head to the music as I made my way over to the cotton candy stand, the man smiled widely at me. "I believe you are the one we are celebrating today, correct?"

"Um, yeah."

Swirling his wrist around the flying pieces of delicious sugar he grabbed a waffle cone and placed the pink and blue cotton candy mix on top using a wet stick to form it into the shape of ice-cream.