Ch. 2

< -- two -- >

< -- two -- >

· ·

Walking out of school breathing in the fresh summer air the dented red door slammed shut behind me. Ethan rested against his new 2019 GMC Sierra Denali, his end of the school year reward was his parent's biggest gift making sure to outdo themselves from the previous year.

Ethan would always thank them and accept whatever the reward was to not hurt his parents feelings even though he preferred the newest technology pieces that could help with his small inventions or something simple like an updated computer. He's tried to give some of his unwanted gifts to me since he had no siblings but I always denied the offer and I always would. They weren't my rewards. I got by with good grades, not straight A's with perfect attendance like him but good enough with mostly A's and a few B's.

I got my own rewards like a bigger tv. It wasn't a 70 inch like Ethan's but I was okay with the 55 inch mounted on my wall. I didn't need to be transported into the tv or make my head hurt trying to take it all in.

My parents haven't rewarded me since the fighting started freshman year. Can't say that I care because I don't. If I wanted to go somewhere, which was usually to hang with Ethan, he would come get me or I would walk. I didn't watch much tv or stayed with my phone in hand because I enjoy playing music.

Guitar was my thing and Cresette was my baby. Getting her for amazing grades in seventh grade I've learned a ton of songs since then. Maroon 5 was my favorite band to learn from so far. I loved to put my headphones on and listen to the bass guitar play but that too came to a stop when Cas died. My mom has tried to get me to play but stopped once I threatened to break Cresette which was just a complete bluff. I would never ever hurt my baby.

Ethan even tried a few times, not as persistent as my mom but he would set the guitar case on my bed opened and tempting as ever but I just couldn't bring myself to do it so I made my way over to the keyboard. Cresette still has my heart though and that would never change.

"You didn't have to get out the truck." I said to Ethan walking down the cement steps. Getting closer I waited for him to lift his head from the book he was memorizing and acknowledge me but it never happened. "Ethan. Yo Ethan." Looking over to the truck's keys resting on the hood for anyone to take, I grabbed them pressing the alarm button making him jump so hard he dropped his book clutching his chest. Turning off the alarm I picked up his book brushing it off before reading the title handing it back.

"Geez, Lars. All you had to do was call my name."

Shaking my head I handed his keys over. "I did call you." I held up two fingers. "Twice."

"Oh." He pushed his glasses up. "Sorry about that then." Getting in the passenger seat Ethan pulled off turning right at the stop sign heading towards our house division. "So how was um . . . detention?"