Ch. 25

< -- twenty - five -- >

• •

What could I say? There wasn’t anyone else in the picture. I made a mistake one night now here she was thinking that I was fucking around since the moment we split. No matter if I told the truth right now or not she wouldn’t believe me.

I stood in front of her with hickies from another girl which made me the bad guy regardless if I wish I could take it back or not.

It’s not what it looks like

Of course that wouldn’t work. 

I’ve missed you

One hundred percent true but she wouldn’t believe me. Probably scoff and call me a liar.

We broke up two months ago. I’m not going to sit and wait around for you.

That wasn’t true at all. A moment of weakness had my body looking like I got sucked on by thirty leeches. Guilt sat on my chest heavy as I looked at Neema.

“What are you doing here?” I went with feeling like it was a safer question. Silent as those beautiful brown eyes looked over each hickey, I grabbed a shirt slipping it over my head. 

Picking up the towel I brushed it over my head several times tossing it over the desk chair. Neema remained quiet, shifting slightly to the left as I walked past her to put my prosthetic back on.

Fighting to keep my eyes on the project at hand, the weight of the room was heavy with question and remorse. Feeling the last piece click in place I turned it on giving it a few moments to connect to the sensors, moving my fingers and wrist once everything was in right. 

Pushing my wet hair back I pulled on my snake bites. Neema’s eyes dropped to my lips widening slightly. 

For a moment I felt hope that she didn’t completely hate me. Afterall, she was in my room without an invite and even stayed after she saw the marks on me. She hadn’t thrown anything or cussed me out . . . yet.

Scooting to the edge of the bed, I called her name softly holding out my hand as a peace offering if she felt the need to break my fingers.

“I came to ask if you could take me to see Cas.”

“Oh.” I dropped my hand as well as my head. “Of course. Sure. Let’s go.”

Grabbing my cell, wallet, and keys, I followed Neema out of my room pausing when she turned to Cas’ bedroom door instead of heading downstairs.

I watched her silently as she stared at the doorknob.  “It’s it - would it,” she swallowed thickly.

“Go ahead.” I encouraged knowing Cas was her friend too. She missed him much like I did.