Ch. 13

< --  thirteen  -- >

· ·

'Wake up.'

Jolting upright I looked around for Cas. His voice. I heard it. I heard his voice.

Wiping sleep from my eyes pushing the disheveled hair from my face I squinted at the ocean. With the sun just breaking the sky I stood from the bench stretching my tense limbs. Needing to make my way back home I checked my cell seeing it was a little after five thirty in the morning before my phone beeped from low battery then died.

Shit

Feeling the uncomfortable pressure on my bladder I used the beach's facilities then began a light jog for home.

Pacing myself while breathing in the crisp cool air I thought about my fake girlfriend and the past only she knew of. Remembering the necklace from her car I couldn't shake the feeling of seeing the other half that was missing.

Jogging past our security guard we poliety waved to each other. Making it to the driveway my side and thighs burned intensely. Mouth dry from open mouth breathing I raised both hands putting them behind my head when the dull ache in my side began.

Needing to quickly get in the house to take the prosthetic off and clean it, I walked around to the side of the house that my bedroom was on. Looking up  my window was still open and the room was dark like the rest of the house. Sizing the tree I jumped from earlier I wasn't sure how successful climbing up would be. Going down was one thing but lifting my weight was something else entirely.

Shaking out the rest of my limbs I counted to three . . . then counted again to five . . . then once more to ten before running up to the tree jumping up on faith that I would catch a branch.

With no time for my prosthetic to tighten around the branch my left hand slipped leaving me dangling by my right. "Shit shit shit shit shit. Oh shit." Looking at the ground below I wasn't too high up and luckily there was a small branch I could step on to lift me up.

Swinging gently the tip of my toe tapped the branch. Swinging again I was able to get a footing on the branch reaching up to grab again with my prosthetic hand. Securely around the branch above I swung my leg over grunting as I pulled myself up.

I definitely needed to work on my upper body strength.

Climbing up a few more branches my window was finally eye level. Peeking inside it was still the same way that I left it. Bed still made with my backpack on top. None of the drawers or closet door were left open. Nothing on my desk was scattered and the socks that I tossed towards the laundry basket and missed were still on the floor.

Jumping to the roof I slipped back in my room freezing to listen for any noise that someone was coming to check. Pulling my hoodie and shirt off I tossed them on the floor falling face first into my fluffy pillow.