Ch. 18

< -- eighteen -- >

• • •

Shattered glass, turned tables, SOLOS cups all over the floor. Cracked glass door, blood on the floor, busted lip, broken skin, bloody knuckles, ripped buttons, aching bones, recording phones, coaching peers, yelling and tears, eyes widening, jaws dropping . . . blood rushing . . . heart racing . . . ears ringing . . .

.

.

.

"Do you think she'll like it?"

"She's going to think it's stupid." Cas rolled his eyes. "Both of you are stupid. Who becomes best friends with a girl?"

"She's different." I defended.

"You're right. She'll have boobs for starters."

"Gross Cas."

"It's the truth!" He shrugged. "It was supposed to be you and me."

"You don't even like hanging out with me." I said honestly even though the fact hurt. Cas was hanging out more with his friends from baseball leaving me behind. Touching over the matching best bud charms I really hoped that Neema would like it.

Her party was in forty minutes and I waited until the last minute to get her something. It wasn't on purpose though. I had been thinking hard over it for the past month and whenever I asked what she might like she would just say anything from me would be perfect.

I didn't want to get her a Barbie because she was turning eight, almost a preteen and she wanted to seem mature. I thought about buying her a bracelet but I didn't want to ask my dad for an increase in my allowance so here I stood with my twelve year old brother in a girlie store hoping that no one from school will walk in and see us.

"Are you going to buy the necklaces or not? I don't want to be caught dead in here. I'll never hear the end of it."

Flipping it over to look at the price on the back I smiled knowing it was within budget even with the added tax. "Yeah, I'm ready. Let's go."

.

.

.

" . . . fighting over who's going to punch Griffin first is the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed in my life."

I felt something cool dab at my bottom lip. Keeping my face still as possible I fought off the urge to flinch at the open wound that was being touched.

"I don't think it had to do with who punched Griffin first." I heard Ethan somewhere in the distance. "I think Lars was more pissed about you . . . you know."