Ch. 10

< --  ten  -- >

< --  ten  -- >

· ·

"You cheated."

Bursting out laughing I reached over tugging at Neema's chin. "Aw, babe. Now don't be a sore loser."

"I'm not." She pouted folding her arms.

"You are and I don't see why. I even got you those sunglasses. Fake girlfriends need love too." I poked her side. "Where are they?"

"I'm not putting those on Lars."

"Oh yes you are. It was our deal."

"I'll look crazy."

"No you won't." I laughed pulling into the school parking lot. "You'll look cute and like you skipped school to have fun . . . and that you suck at games."

"Lars! Stop laughing at me!"

Turning off the car I reached in the back seat grabbing the oversized sunglasses. Placing them on her face I fought off laughing as hard as I could. "Hold on there's something missing." Flipping the small switch on the side the glasses lit up in neon colors blinking and flashing.

"Don't you dare take my picture." She warned once my phone was raised.

"Sorry." I snapped the picture. "I need proof of this joyous day. Leaning over I kissed her forehead opening the car door. "You look hot by the way. Laters babe."

The last bell of the day had rung almost five minutes ago meaning Ethan should be coming out within two minutes. Tucking my arm back in my hoodie pocket I walked over to Ethan's truck leaning on the passenger door.

Keeping my eyes on the school students continued to file out by themselves or with friends. Couples walked out hand in hand whispering things in each other's ear.

Three minutes ticked by making me worry about Ethan's whereabouts. He would have already been out here unless . . . Shit! Running back inside the school I shoved my way through the groups of people talking amongst themselves as if they couldn't do it outside where there was more space.

Once I was through the crowd I headed for the stairs spotting Ethan at the end of the hall talking to a girl that handed him something. Staying put, I tried to become one with the wall squinting to enhance my hearing and vision. The girl talked with her hands mostly. Her mouth was moving but Ethan's head stayed lowered. Was he listening to her?

Eventually the girl waved as well as Ethan splitting in different directions. Seeing me at the end of the hall he quickly looked away adjusted his bag. As he got closer I could see there was something going on and his glasses were missing.

Just as he was about to walk past me I put my hand out grabbing the strap to his backpack. "Hold on E."

"Lars -"