Ch. 17

< -- seventeen -- >

< -- seventeen -- >

· ·

"Lars! It's so nice to see you again."

"You too Mrs. Dunn." I smile politely at Ethan's mom.

Dark hair like both of his parents Ethan took more after his mom than his dad. He was tall like her, smiled like her, certain things he said sounded just like her. He did have a few features from his dad like his nose and ears. The color of his eyes were also brown like his dad and even though Ethan wasn't into becoming an attorney any time soon, his parents didn't force him to do anything he didn't want to and supported his extracurricular activities.

"Come on in." She stepped aside opening the door wide enough for me to pass by. "How've you been?"

"I've been good and you?"

"Always so polite." She beamed showing off her laugh lines. "I've been good Lars, thank you." Checking her rose gold watch she frowned, "Dang it, I have to go. I have a meeting to get to but it's always nice seeing you again. Ethan is in his room." She bent down picking up the briefcase from the floor, "Hope you two have fun!"

"Unlikely." I mumbled with a wave and a smile closing the door behind her.

Jogging up to Ethan's room I knocked on his door pushing it open. Sitting on the couch he tapped away on his laptop with another laptop on the cushion next to him and a third on the armrest.

"Yo E!" His head moved from one laptop to the next. The only sound in the room was his rapid typing. Shaking my head I looked around his white wall room.

Behind him held up with tacks was the periodic table next to his opened windows bringing in natural light. Across the room was his desk cluttered with papers and books. I was sure there was another laptop hidden underneath the clutter somewhere. His king sized bed made perfectly with white sheets and several pillows much like a five star hotel.

"You know we can stay here and skip the party. I don't mind not going." Silence. "Cool." I fell into a chair at the foot of his bed crossing my feet on the stool picking up a random book reading off the title, "Tunnel in the Sky."

"We can go." He closed the laptop on his lap then the other two. "I'm done."

"Damn. I thought you would be on my side."

"I am on your side but my mom is probably going to ask me about it and you know I can't lie to save my life so I need some truth. We can stay for half an hour and go. Wait . . . why aren't you in your swim trunks? I thought you said it was a pool party."

"It is. I'm just not swimming or getting close enough to the pool. Wearing swim trunks will make people think I'm open to swimming and I'm not."

"Fine, I'll change too."