29. Cabin in the Woods

Here it is! Another part of this messed up story is coming into play, needed to let it go forward. Let's get it started!

See you all at the end of the chapter!

Karkat stared into the gaping maw of the ghost wolf and wondered why the hell his life was like this. Going on a trip to a cabin in the woods was only meant to go wrong in horror movies, not in real life.

"Oh, right," Karkat dully thought, rearing his legs up, placing them beneath the wolf's chest. "I'm half dead. This already is a horror movie."

Karkat kicked his legs straight out, knocking the wolf away from him immediately. As it launched away, hitting the ground hard, he rolled backward, landing on his feet. The wolf recovered slowly, fur bristling as it got up to glare at him once again.

Karkat took a look to his right, noting the back of the car was open now, weapons ready to be picked up. He could hear his dad and Crocker rushing, most likely to check on what was going on. Feferi was watching, still in shock at the quick turn of events.

"Get a weapon from the trunk!" Karkat turned his eyes back to the wolf, red eyes meeting its scarred ones. He'd have to keep its attention on him until they could properly fight back. "And hurry! This thing really wants to take a bite out of me!"

Karkat had to force himself not to use his ghost powers right there and then. Too many witnesses, and he didn't want his dad to see. He did wave at the thing, though, making sure it didn't stray.

"Hey, ugly!" Unoriginal, but it made sure to catch its attention. "Not sure where your pack is, but I'm pretty sure they left so they couldn't see your mug. Your breath might have helped with that too, though."

Again, not exactly profound, but he didn't need his best material to catch the wolf's attention. It growled loudly again, rattling his bones to their core, before charging headfirst at him. It leaped, trying to tackle him again. Karkat rolled to the side, the thing landing beside him.

Karkat was able to whirl around, punching the animal in the face before it could recover. Stunned, the wolf couldn't counter the kick to the stomach he gave it to it, causing it to skid backwards.

Unfortunately, Karkat wasn't as adept fighting on the ground as he was in the air. He stumbled after the kick, the wolf taking the opportunity to slash at him with its claws. It missed the first time but slashed at his jacket during the second attack.

The wolf lunged forward, attempting to capture one of the halfa's arms in its teeth, but missed by inches as Karkat jumped back. The halfa reach into a pocket, waiting for the beast to strike again. He didn't have to wait long as it tried to bite at him once more.

Karkat pulled an ecto-knife out of his pocket, slashing it across the wolf's snout. The thing howled again, the sound pinning Karkat where he stood as its pain filled cries nearly deafened him.

He didn't have to wait long for the thing to quiet down, as several shots from an ecto-gun rammed into its side. Karkat put some distance between him and the wolf, sighing in relief as he saw his dad and the Peixes shooting at it with wild abandon.

The wolf figured it was time to move then, the numbers being shifted out of its favor. It howled again, causing the shooting to stop before retreating into the forest. Karkat could hear his father curse loudly, putting the gun down before heading over to him.

"Kid, are you okay?!" Spades stopped, checking over the boy. He looked relieved when he didn't find any serious injuries. "Jesus, I don't know who taught you to fight like that, but it sure as hell wasn't me. I can't believe you punched a wolf."