49. What You Want

This was a little difficult to put out, but here it is. Word of warning, this arc will go on for three more chapters and be appropriately dark. Either way, I hope you enjoy.

See you at the end of the chapter!

Karkat figured life was something that was priceless for the most part, but apparently someone decided to put a price on his; $20,000,000.

It was a bit of a surprise, to be honest. Well, no, it was actually a goddamn shock to the system, but semantics wasn't the issue here. It was the fact he had a bounty on his head for something that wasn't even his fault, held up by a madman who was in charge of a newly formed government agency. One about ghosts. If it wasn't for the fact ghosts were a real thing, it would've been as laughable as making a space military.

"Jesus fucking Christ." Karkat had walked off in a huff when the news had come out. It wasn't exactly mature but knowing that he had a bounty on his head was a certified way to stress him out. "Millions. Didn't think I was worth that, but guess Scratch wants to pay out the ass!"

It was thankfully not crowded where he was walking, otherwise people would've thought he was insane. If he'd stomped any harder too, he probably would've started damaging the sidewalk. Was this some form of sign? His faith in a higher power was low lately, but maybe one of them was giving him a clue that superhero shit wasn't his thing.

He could hear footsteps behind him, and he had a good idea on who they might belong too.

"Karkat, wait!" Aradia's footfalls came quick, but he didn't turn around. Just as much as he was in a trance, she seemed to be in a panic. "You kinda left us in a hurry back there! I had to make sure Sollux stayed behind so we didn't dine and dash."

"Good, would rather not get banned from there." Karkat said casually. Aradia figured that wasn't good, since Karkat wasn't the most chill person on a normal day. "You know how often fast-food workers get the government on their ass? None. I should've done that instead of be a superhero."

"Karkat, c'mon. I know this is bad, but we need to come up with a game plan here." Aradia figured that they couldn't let this go. Doc Scratch was clearly off the deep end, but he also had power, and that wasn't a good mix. "Maybe if we try to-"

Karkat stopped, doing an about face before leaning towards Aradia's face. She stopped talking, noting the manic look in his eyes.

"And do what, Megido?" Karkat didn't get what she wanted to do about this. This wasn't exactly an easy fix, especially with something so high up. "You want me to personally petition that the government doesn't do this? You want me to go out and assassinate Scratch with my bare hands? You want me to possess the president?"

"No! I mean, maybe?" Aradia ran a hand down her face. She was already beginning to feel exhausted with the situation. "Look, I know you want to give up the cape here and now, but I don't think we can. At least not until we deal with this."

"How the fuck am I supposed to deal with this?! I'm not even eighteen, so I certainly can't vote this shit out of office!" Karkat let out a strangled laugh, realizing the absurdity in its full glory. "I'm only seventeen and I have a double life, a bounty on my head, and more enemies than I can count. Jesus, we really did let this go on for too long."

"No, we did what we thought was right. It's all insane, but you have to remember this was all our choice." Aradia figured that would calm him down. "We wanted to make sure the ghosts didn't do anything to the town, remember?"

"I only thought of that because we were the only ones involved! We didn't have anyone else. No Pyropes, no Leijon's, and we definitely didn't have Horuss." Karkat pulled at his hair. Was he hyperventilating? He felt like he was breathing a little too fast. "It was fine with a few ectopuses and the occasional lunch lady, but the government is too far."