39. A Pulled Thread...

Sorry this took longer than usual. My job is kicking my ass, but I'll be at the weekend soon enough and I can sleep in for two days straight. That'll be nice.

I hope you like how this is going. Sorry I haven't been speaking much in my notes lately, but I just don't have a lot to talk about sometimes. Everything is okay, don't worry.

Either way, I hope you all enjoy the chapter!

Kids were a chaotic force of nature, something that was true in nearly every respect. As long as a parent cared for them and actively took part in their lives, they could tell you about all the shit the tykes could get into.

Looking down at the two skull heads of Caliborn and Calliope, Karkat couldn't help but think that law was universal even in the Ghost Zone.

"She tried to mess with the thing-"

"Only because you kept demanding that-"

"And considering the amount of damage-"

"That you caused-"

Karkat was glad he grew up an only child. He figured having a sibling would definitely be annoying in the long run.

"Kids, all I want to know what broke." Frostbite looked as tired as any dad would be with children fighting right in front of them. Especially if it was happening in public. "We have guests, so I would like it if you behaved yourselves."

"I didn't ask for anyone to be here." Caliborn huffed, stomping a foot on the ground. Unlike his sister, he didn't seem embarrassed by the spectacle. "If they don't want to deal with our shit, they're free to leave."

"Caliborn!" Calliope stomped her own foot, in a bizarre mirror to her brother. She sounded like she was actually trying to be polite. "Don't talk back to father like that! You could at least tone it down with the swearing."

"Like I actually care!"

Frostbite sighed, rubbing his temples. He gave a shrug to their questioning glances, as if to reassure them that this was normal.

"They usually get like this if no one is keeping an eye on them. Especially if their so-called imaginary friends start appearing more often." The yeti ghost didn't seem actually bothered by this, though anyone would feel a little embarrassed if they were in his shoes. "Kids, seriously. These people have helped us with something, and I want to make their short stay here as good as possible."

"Fine." Caliborn rolled his eyes and turned around dramatically, moving to sit down in the closest chair. "But I don't want to talk to anyone. I need to practice my craft with our friends help."

Karkat could see him grab a tiny sketchbook, one filled with scraggly drawings that were made by a clumsy hand. He also saw Calliope take out one of her own, filled with much more impressive drawings.

He had a feeling he shouldn't say anything about that unless he wanted a tantrum thrown his way.

"I guess we shouldn't be surprised you're the type to adopt." Karkat did feel his respect for Frostbite go up a bit. Maybe some of his claims were true after all. "I'm guessing they don't get along too much."

"Unfortunately. Whether it's because of their unique type or they're just like that is a mystery though." Frostbite clapped his hands. He quickly tried to change the subject. "Is there anything you'd like to know about this place? It's been here longer than I have."

"Oh, I think I've got a few questions." Terezi had a notebook out, already moving forward to ask him some questions. "First, I'd like to know how..."