43. Couples Therapy

I'm not going to lie; I didn't expect to publish this in the morning. However, I figured it was better to just publish it now before I forget to later.

Word of warning, though; this chapter does get a little dark on the implications. I've wanted to put my own twist on this episode and I always found it more messed up than most people consider.

Either way, I hope you all enjoy!

There were several emotions that flitted through Karkat as he stared down at Kitty, who had the fucking audacity to look so casual in Feferi's body. Some of them were obvious, others not.

If he had the time to analyze them, he would've been surprised that the first one wasn't rage. It was a close second, but it wasn't the one that took control.

The emotion that did was horror.

Karkat thought about how it was a good while since the incident at the water park, how he'd helpfully shoved Feferi into a bathroom alone. How he'd gone off afterward to face Johnny, who had been alone too. The fight hadn't been long, but that shit didn't matter. Kitty could've possessed her easily.

The thought that she could've done it later crossed his mind, but it was squashed as he remembered having appeared in another bathroom. Feferi had probably seen her and struggled, freaked out, resulting in them appearing there. He didn't remember anything being damaged, but that fact alone...

Was she awake in there?

"You have seconds to explain to me what the fuck you're doing in my friend's body." The halfa let the rage take the driver's seat. The horror would've made her happy to see. "Preferably outside of it."

"How about I just stay in the meat suit a little bit longer. You look ready to maul me, and a human shield seems really good right now." Feferi held her hands up as Karkat leaned forward. "And I wouldn't try to rip me out of her. I've heard bad things happen if you try to rip out a ghost overshadowing someone."

Karkat did pause, hand clenching into fists. He hadn't read up on that type of thing just yet, a fact he cursed himself for, so he didn't actually know if that was a bluff. Feferi's safety was top priority here, and he wasn't going to violate that in a moment of rage.

His obsession still rang out since she'd already violated Feferi's autonomy. It sang for blood.

"Then talk fast before I decide to risk it." Karkat wouldn't have, but that didn't mean it wasn't tempting. "Preferably, why the fuck you thought it was a good idea to take someone who kicked your ass to a secluded location."

"Fine, fine. God, you're still such a goddamn kill-joy." Feferi's voice saying that was horrible, and he wanted to make it stop. "I'm guessing you already know we escaped from jail or something?"

"Yeah, considering your boyfriend decided to show up and wreck a nice day." He needs to get to Terezi on that. Figure out who fucked up or fucked around. "I was talking more about why you're possessing my friend, so get on with that."

"Friend? I wouldn't have gotten that judging from how you were reacting just a few minutes ago." Kitty made a gesture that he Karkat didn't bother registering in his mind's eye. It only made his obsession go crazier at the sight. "I figured this girl would be a good pick, but man, the UST was a lot stronger than I thought."

Karkat stared her down. Kitty eventually sighed, shaking her head.

"Look, it isn't really that complicated; I'm doing it to get a reaction from Johnny." Somehow, the reasoning made it so much worse. "I was going to go after some rando, but then you showed up and your name slipped out of this mouth before I could stop it and I figured this was too good to pass up."