20. High School Grudges

As always, here's the next chapter. I think this will bring up a very interesting arc for the story, especially for those that love angst. I think we all now what this next chapter pertains to, especially to people who've watched the show.

If not, I hope this all comes as a good surprise.

Either way, I hope you enjoy!

He wasn't sure what to do here. Karkat was at a genuine loss, and he didn't like it.

It was different. He expected some shit to happen today, but not this. Going from one freak of nature to possibly three (depending on what exactly these two are) was a hell of a rollercoaster. He should probably try and make a good first impression. Quick, Vantas, say something clever!

"What the fuck?"

God dammit, present Vantas. Why must you be so eloquent?

"I should've figured that'd be your reaction." Despite his response, Oberon didn't seem offended by the vulgar statement. Then again, he probably wasn't expecting to see Karkat either, so it was fair. "Should've went with something gentler."

"Not like it would've helped out much, dad." Eridan hung back, watching the other boy intently. He was still surprised too, apparently. He was keeping his distance, as if Karkat was liable to shoot him with an ecto-blast. "Sums it up pretty well."

Oberon raised his hand again, causing Karkat to take a step back. It was involuntary, though it stopped further movement.

"What are you two?" Karkat's hand lit up with energy again. He didn't realize he stopped. "If you're ghosts wearing artifacts, speak up. I've had to deal with two of those already, so I'm really short on patience when it comes to that."

"If you'd let us explain first, this'll be over much faster." Eridan looked nervously at the hand, raising his hands defensively. "It's a long story, but-"

"Keep it simple." Karkat really didn't want to be rude about this, but surprises had been unpleasant lately. He couldn't afford anymore of them.

"I'm a half ghost." Oberon pointed at himself, being as blunt as possible. It was almost appreciated. "Eridan, my son, is a quarter ghost. He was created naturally while I wasn't. There's more, but I don't think it'd be wise to explain here."

Karkat felt the urge to argue before he heard something outside. Another argument, judging from the raised voices.

There were too many people here. They needed a better place to talk.

"My dad's outside. If you pretend to be an investor, he'll take you to the lab." The energy in Karkat's hand fizzled out. "Not sure how receptive he'll be, though. Things have been stressful today."

"Spades if your father?" Oberon looked surprised at first, but it was quickly replaced by... understanding? "Hm. Figures he's connected to this. We'll meet you outside."

Oberon was quick to turn and head towards the door. His posture remained confident and poised the entire time.

Karkat gave Eridan a glance, raising an eyebrow. The boy with the scarf shrugged, as if embarrassed. The boy clapped a hand onto his shoulder, most likely to try and act comforting. The reassurance died after feeling his soaked coat.

"Why is your jacket wet?" Karkat almost laughed at the disturbed look on the boy's face.

"It's holy water. Watch out for old ladies, they're apparently packing tonight." Karkat phased the water off of him as soon as he said this.