35. Research and Development

Here's the next update everybody! Prepare for some more lore in this and the next chapter. Not to mention some very fascinating story bits.

I'm finally moved into the new place, but I've yet to get into the job. As said before, updates are still going to be weird, but still ongoing. Things should get back into a new routine by the end of next month at worst.

Without further ado, go ahead and enjoy the chapter!

The Ghost Zone was thankfully calmer today than it usually was, though Karkat did keep an eye out just in case. Having Eridan with him was a dangerous factor, especially since it was basically confirmed his dad was wanted here. He couldn't risk someone recognizing him and making assumptions, especially if it happened to be one of the Pyropes.

He still kept a death grip on his phone, checking it occasionally. He made sure that Sollux and Aradia kept a clear eye out on what was happening in Amity Park while he was doing this.

CG: ANYTHING HAPPENING OVER THERE? I'M GETTING CLOSE TO HORUSS'S WORKSHOP.

TA: nothiing yet. all the 2en2or2 are comiing up empty, even iin tavro2'2 area.

AA: i'm keeping an eye 0n the news, but i haven't heard anything. i'm still patr0lling the sch00l hallways t00.

TA: kk, are you 2ure we can tru2t thii2 equii2 guy? thii2 could be ju2t 2ome weiird prank he'2 tryiing two pull on a new gho2t or 2omethiing. and not exactly a good one.

CG: HE DIDN'T SEEM LIKE THE PRANKING TYPE WHEN I TALKED TO HIM. NOT TO MENTION NO IDIOT WOULD RISK BEING CAUGHT AND DISSECTED BY A GHOST HUNTER FOR A SIMPLE PRANK.

AA: i think y0u're f0rgetting ab0ut that gh0st c0uple that decided t0 vandalize a sch00l in br0ad daylight. clearly, being dead releases y0ur inhibiti0ns.

CG: WELL, EVEN IF THIS IS SOME STUPID PRANK, IT'S STILL WORTH CHECKING WITH HORUSS FIRST. HE'D KNOW HIS BROTHER BETTER THAN WE DO.

AA: p0int. but remember, just because we kn0w h0russ d0esn't mean we kn0w his br0ther. he c0uld've handed y0u a flashdrive full 0f s0llux level viruses f0r all we kn0w.

TA: ...you know, maybe iit ii2 a good thiing we don't te2t iit on one of my computer2 then. two rii2ky.

CG: NICE TO KNOW YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT OUR FRIENDS, CAPTOR. YOU IDIOTS HAVE FUN. I'M GOING TO MAKE SURE THIS SHIT ISN'T DANGEROUS.

Karkat sighed, putting the phone into his pocket. He regretted having to split so soon with Feferi and Kanaya, but they thankfully had some stuff to do with Mr. Lancer anyway. Feferi looked happy that Eridan was hanging out with, actually, and which would've been nice if it didn't remind him of his situation with Dualscar so much.

"So, what should I expect with this Horuss guy exactly? You haven't really said much about him or whatever." Eridan shrugged, most likely to fill the silence. The Ghost Zone could be unnervingly silent to anyone who wasn't used to it. "Hopefully a bit less mysterious than his brother. And less sweaty."

"I can't promise anything on the sweaty part, but he is nice. Pretty much the exact opposite to Equis, honestly." Karkat ran over the meeting in his head. The situation wasn't any less ominous than it was hours ago. "But I don't think you have to worry about him. I think the Leijons are going to be there, and they're pretty chaotic."

Karkat figured he should elaborate, but the questioning glance he got from Eridan was funny. That and he could see Horuss's home in the distance.

He never really considered where the ghost would live, but the sight of a two story building surrounded by meticulously organized junk was a fitting place. He could see various machines surrounding the place, all at work doing something or another. The building itself was plain, entirely nondescript except for it's deep purple coloring. It honestly did fit Horuss to a T.