16. Final Chorus

Here's the final chapter dealing with this particular arc! Hope you all enjoy, especially since this after the next two-chapter arc, we'll be heading into new territory. If you're following the episode list closely, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, if you haven't heard already, I've got updated the drabble series. Feel free to check it out and request a drabble if you feel like you want to know more about something. It'll continue to be updated randomly.

Karkat knew things had gotten out of control. It was a very clear concept.

This was supposed to be a calm conversation. One where he got answers and he figured out a solution to all of this. Stop Vriska, calm her down if possible, and lower the property damage to hopefully zilch. Aranea would possibly be the key to that and, maybe, be a possible adult he could talk to in a situation like this. Possibly even understand how ghostly psychology works from someone who may have worked closely on one.

But no. She had to not only be a ghost too, but one preying on people in histown. On hispeople. Possibly his friends. Using teenage angst to fuel herself and possibly cause irreversible damage if she went overboard.

So, he knew this situation had gotten out of control. But he didn't fucking care.

"You're going to tell me where Vriska is and what you're doing to my town." Karkat felt the ecto-energy flare in his hands to emphasis his point. "Now."

"Ok, I know how this looks," All the bravado and irritation were gone from Aranea as she slowly backing away from the teen standing before her. "None of this was supposed to happen this way. We were just supposed get into town, get what we need, and get out."

"By sucking out their misery?" Karkat took a step forward, growling. Smoke continued to billow out of his mouth, the smell taking over the room. "Mind controlling them? Using them like cattle?"

"The mind control thing is usually only used in emergencies!" The woman in blue tried to wave it off, though it mattered little to him. "My sister- my sister is just going a bit overboard and I am doing my best to get it all under control."

The ghostly teen grunted, taking another step. "To say the least, you failed at that." He looked around the room carefully, casually. "Answer me when I ask this; if that little riot is what happens when she gets out of control... what happens when you do?"

"What?" Aranea's back hit the wall. Fear was clear on her face as she tried to get away.

"I asked you," He leaned forward, sharp teeth bared at her as the smoke continued to fill the room. "What happens when you lose control?"

Aranea gulped, leaning into the wall further.

The confrontation was interrupted when a knock reverberated from the door. Karkat twitched, looking behind him at it with fury.

"Ms. Serket? You wouldn't happen to be smoking in there?" Mr. Lancers voice cut through the silence his interruption created. "Great Expectations, it almost smells like a campfire in there! I know things have been stressful lately, but make sure to use an air freshener."

Karkat paid the interruption no mind, turning back towards Aranea...

...slipping through the wall.

Another burst of rage and he jumped after her, rings of light washing over him as he did. From office, to concrete, to fresh air, he flew up into the air. From a distance, he could see Vriska flying close to the ground. She moved to take something off her finger.