19. Bitter Reunions

Alright, here it is. The big reveal of several things going forward. I have a feeling some of you are going to be surprised by all of this, but I think you'll like it all the same. Not to mention some favorites of yours are coming in to the cast now.

On an unrelated note, there's something I want your opinion on. It for stuff not related to the fic (kinda), so don't worry about it. I'll explain at the end.

Okay, let's get on with it. Enjoy the chapter!

Karkat would deny being excited about seeing some of Redglare's library. Admittedly, not all of it was about the Ghost Zone, but there were still several there he could see.

"Jesus, this is a lot of books." He floated near a shelf, noting some of the stranger titles. "I'm not an English major, but I'm pretty sure Hemingway didn't write this while he was alive."

"He didn't. I'm not sure if it's all still around, but he certainly added a few things to the Infinite Realms collection of lost literature when he died." Terezi was checking over the books herself, somehow, making sure everything was in order. "A lot of literature that gets lost gets added in here somehow. Nobody's found anything too big yet, but a few series were finished here rather than the human world."

"Library of Alexandria, here I come." Karkat mumbled, making a note of that for later. He looked further on the bookshelf, noticing something concerning. "There isn't a lot of maps here. Do cartographers not turn into ghosts or something?"

"The Infinite Realms tend to change or cycle around. Some landmasses can drift towards each other, actually." Terezi shrugged, tapping her fingers on her cane. "A lot people don't really put in the effort. Kind of a lack of scientists, really."

Karkat grunted at that, checking over every title on the shelf. Neither of them said anything for a little while until Terezi finally sighed. A patient irritation flittered across her face.

"You know you can't stay in here." Terezi's tapping on the cane got a little louder after saying it. "That presentation's going to happen whether you show up or not. You might as well be there to mitigate any damage."

"I know, I know." Karkat rolled his eyes, sighing bitterly. He had been doing his best to distract himself from it all day, but nothing really worked. "I tried to find a way to put it off, but my dad's been excited about this. Even recited his speech ten times in the mirror this morning."

Terezi sighed. She picked up a book from the shelf, handing it off to him. "Here. This book has some basic information about our world in it, including some stuff about the Furthest Ring. It's not that in depth, but it's certainly a start."

Karkat hesitantly took the book, knowing what it meant. "You're literally going to kick me out if I don't force myself to go there, aren't you?"

"If I have to." Terezi smirked, twirling her cane cockily. "Now, you gonna get the hell out of here, Karkles, or are we going to have a rematch?"

The halfa rolled his eyes good-naturedly. He put the book away in his backpack, sighing. "Fine. I know when I'm not wanted. Feel free to message us during the shitshow, though. We're going to need something to make us forget what'll happen after."

"I'll make sure check on you guys. Nepeta too." Terezi clapped Karkat on the back, causing him to stumble in the air. "Don't die."

"I'll do my best." The ghostly teen saluted her sarcastically as he exited the home. He already knew his way back. "I don't have a good track record of staying alive, though."

Terezi barely laughed at that, which he considered a win in his book. He kept floating towards the opening of the portal, looking over the cover of the book.