Chapter 8

A/N Today was the first day of school after Christmas. This is Lost Heir (#2 of the wolf series) now.

A wave roared up the beach and splashed over my talons. Tsunami was right next to me, and Clay was on my other side.Everyone else was behind her. My talons sunk into the wet sand. My wings billowed in the wind. Tsunami lifted her head, breathing in deeply. 

"Let me guess," Glory mocked. "You guys, that's the smell of freedom." Freedom smells a lot like fish." Starflight observed. "Which, to be clear, is nose-curling awful." "Starflight, Glory, be quiet. She's never been to the ocean." I said. "Also, the smell of fish is amazing." Tsunami snapped.

"Shouldn't we stay under the trees? What if a patrol spots us? I mean-" He stopped and took a deep breath. "We must  stay under the trees. All right. Yes. Everyone under the trees right now."

I studied him suspiciously. "Did Morrowseer tell you anything? Any, commands?" "N-no! Why do you ask?" Starflight stammered. "You're acting a little more. . . . . bossy." I said. "You know what I love?" Clay said mournfully. "Fish. Lot's of fish. Big fish, not these tiny little wriggle scraps." He sat down on the sand. "I can catch you a few fish," I offered. "I'll need to go farther out, though.

Clay cheered. "No! You're our best fighter!" Starflight fretted. Tsunami scowled." No offense Tsunami, but she beat you. You can't go! What if we're attacked, what if we get lost, what if we get trapped-" I interrupted him calmly. "I made the  spell that warns me if you guys are in danger a looooooooong time ago." "Oh. Well okay then." Starflight looked startled, as if he thought they weren't important enough to me for me to do that.

 I whirled and dove into the water, and swam quickly away from the island we were hiding on. After I had caught ten huge tuna, the spell went off. 'D.O.D, why're you always getting into so much trouble?!' I sighed, cast a spell to make the tuna follow me, and swam back as fast as I could, which is pretty fast.

When I got there, Tsunami was fighting a full-grown SkyWing, and she was losing the fight. I made the tuna hover above the water, and launched myself out of the water and onto the SkyWing's back. I smacked him, clawed his wings and somehow was able to drag him through the air onto the beach, where I tied him up, and stuffed leaves in his ears and put one on each eye.

The others had come out of the forest while I was tying him up, and Clay was staring at all the tuna. Tsunami noticed them with a start, and I called them to the shore. I made five float toward Clay, the others me and Tsunami shared. "Can you always hunt for us?" Clay asked after we were done eating.

---------------------------- FOUR DAYS LATER----------------------------------

It was four days later when we finally woke up on an island that was officially part of the Thousand Scales. They were crammed into a tiny cavern halfway up a cliff, instead of on the nice, white, sandy beaches, where I had slept. I didn't care about SkyWings finding me, or SeaWings capturing me. Which is what happened. I woke up in a metal cage, made of the same stuff as the wires in the Sky Kingdom.

I was in a hollow island, with a pavilion twelve stories high. I  was in a small cave near the water, where two stone dragon horns stuck out. 'That must be the entrance, but I would've known if I had been captured. . .' then I noticed a metal band around my neck, and the tingly feeling in my talons, which had been there since birth, was gone. Mu animus powers were gone. 'I should probably worry about that right now.' I thought, noticing two SeaWings coming towards me.

One of them was much bigger, and was the same color as Tsunami, the smaller one was like the inside of a seashell, and both had matching harnesses and pearls. There was a long, thin cord connecting the harnesses, and the smaller one was clearly unhappy about the harnesses, which I could use.

'They have the same glow-in-the-dark pattern under their wings as Tsunami and. . . . . .Gill. All the other SeaWings bow, so Tsunami's a princess. I am unsurprised. Gill. So Gill was her father. That's a big oof for the queen. She's royalty, although Kestrel told them that I guess.' That's very interesting. "Where is Gill?" a voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "And why should I tell you?" I narrowed my eyes at Coral.

"He. Is. My. Husband." she hissed through gritted teeth. "I noticed. That's not what I meant. I meant, why should I tell you if I don't know where he is?" I asked. "Liar!" she snarled. "I don't know where the dead go." I said smoothly. "I am talking to the counsel about you." Coral said. "Sure, just take this off first." I gestured to the band around my neck. She snorted. "Like I'd willingly give a liar, and a SkyWing, animus powers." "You are not giving. You are taking what is mine. It has been mine from birth. And who here is the animus, rightfully?" I said dangerously. My animus powers flowed through me, with one twitch of Anemone's tail, and a convulse of my muscles.

It was thankfully behind Coral's back. 'Ah. I knew you could do that. I will gladly give you information, in return.' I tried to say that in my eyes,to Anemone, definitely not to Coral, and I succeeded. Coral harrumphed, and dove into the entrance, yanking Anemone with her. 'I enchant the stone dragon horn that is used as a marker to show where the entrance is to make me able to send thoughts to anyone I please.' I thought hurriedly. 'Anemone! Make a spell to make you able to send thoughts! We will be able to converse in our minds then.'(me) 'Okay. What did you want to talk to me about?(Anemone)

'Animus powers+harness= YOU CAN JUST ENCHANT THE HARNESS TO BREAK OR DISLATCH FROM YOU!!!'(me) 'HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT!' Anemone cried. 'Let's stop before dragons start wondering what's making you look so startled' I suggested. 'Yeah. My mom's asking me now.' Anemone giggled.

There was a sudden silence, and I tensed. Aft a minute, there was a loud paddling noise. It was horribly loud in the silence. "I think you should take me somewhere I can wait for my mother," a voice said. "Up there," another voice answered. The chatter resumed, until there was a huge splash, and Coral leapt out of the water. She flew up and I heard her talking.