Chapter 6

"I can't decide what I'm looking forward to more, you losing or you falling on your arse." Lucas said, putting his fingers on his chin and stroking out in mock consideration. Lucas, distracted by his boasting, didn't notice Opal reaching out to grab his arm, using the leverage to throw him over her back. He landed on the floor with a loud thud, an audible noise of surprise slipping out of him.

"I can't decide what's more funny the look on your face, or the noise that just came out of you." Opal hadn't felt this happy in along time. She couldn't decide whether to hate herself for letting him do this to her or just revel in the feeling.

"Shut up."

"No seriously, could you imagine being on a mission and getting in a fight and you just fucking squeak at them, oh they must lose their shit." Opal jested, choking with laughter, words barely coming out.

Opal being distracted by her own joke, didn't notice Lucas driving forward to sweep her up by her waist flinging her onto his shoulder, holding her in place. She could feel the heat of his arms on her bare thighs, the hairs on his arm brushing against her lightly.

"Lucas, put me down!" Opal shrieked, embarrassment immediately flooding through her. Many people throughout the training room turned to look at them, making Opal's cheeks turn red. The last thing she needed was people thinking Opal was his latest girlfriend for the week.

"My real name, my you must be really mad." Lucas taunted her, getting his revenge for her previous comments.

"Don't make me hurt you."

"Ask nicely and I'll consider it." As much as Opal wanted to punch him, she knew she had to remain professional, to get the agents found. The agent that had gone missing was a friend of hers, she had kept her emotions mostly hidden, only allowing herself to feel sad when she was alone. That was how it had to be, how it always was at the academy.

"Come on, we need to get on with this let's just forget training and go over the plan." Opal suggested, attempting to be the mature one.

"That wasn't nicely sugar, where are your manners?" Lucas criticised her.

"Fine. Please put me down you utter dick." Opal seethed, putting extra emphasis on the please.

"I could do this all day."

"Oh my God, I hate you." Opal gasped dramatically.

"Ditto sweetheart, now my shoulder is beginning to hurt from all that attitude, so I suggest you apologise." Lucas replied, using her old pet name in attempt to charm her.

"You know what? I have tried my hardest to work with you but you are so impossible I mean using that name how-" Halting her rant Lucas threw her back down, feet planting harshly against the ground. It being so unexpected and aggressive caused Opal to stumble, falling to the ground, Lucas cats hing her with seconds to spare. Opal stared into Lucas' emerald eyes, examine the hurt and trauma that resided in them.

"Well that was intimate." Lucas winked at her as he pulled Opal back to her feet.

"Let's go somewhere more private."

"Just what I was thinking."

"Not like that, I meant to go over the plan." Opal chided, smacking his arm. A normal person would be disgusted by his behaviour, but over the years it was something she became used to.

"How disappointing."

"Let's go to room 3c I booked it for the day so we can use the table."

"You know what else that table is good for." Lucas replied in a suggestive tone that caused Opal to gag.

"Smashing, so I can use the shards to murder you?" Opal was tempted, very tempted to commit to her suggestions but then she'd have to go into hiding which seemed liked a lot of effort.

"Smashing, yes but not the table."

"Do you ever take things seriously?"

"Not if I can annoy you." Lucas never used to be this and, him remarks were once harmless and fun, he was actually nice to hang out with, but now he had become unbearable.

"Charming." Opal replied sarcastically. The name was one that she was used to calling him, only before she had meant it.

"I'll be your prince if you want."

"You're an agent, act like one."

"Agent charming." Opal scowled at his cockiness as she managed to dodge the arm he tried to put around her shoulders.

"Get over yourself Lukie."

"Lukie! Does this mean I'm forgiven?" If Opal didn't know him better she would have thought he actually sounded genuine.

"Will you be quiet?"

"Nope."

"Then no."

Opal then walked away without another word, knowing Lucas would trail after her quickly. 3b was all the way on the sixth floor, two floors of offices below and offices and training rooms below that. The elevator was strictly for higher personnel and emergency missions only, a programme put in place to ensure agents stay fit, something Opal despised.

She was dreading the walk up for a number of reasons. One, Lucas was here which meant either an awkward silence or annoying commentary. Two, it was six flights of stairs too much and three, she dreaded the thought of seeing Noah on the stairs. After yesterday she hoped she could  seeing Noah whilst she was with Lucas.

"Are we gonna walk in awkward silence or are we gonna go back to our flirty banter." Lucas questioned as they approached the door to the staircase.

"For God's sake Lucas, we aren't flirting."

"Don't deny your love for me."

"Okay silence now." Opal demanded as they reached the second flight of stairs.

"Oh come on sweetheart I was kidding."

"Would you stop calling me that."

"Yeah, no I enjoy the look on your face too much when I do." Lucas flashed her a smirk as he opened the door to the third flight of stairs, holding lit open as she walked through.

"The look of disgust? Must be very fun to look at."

"No, that look you used too give me. When you'd pretend you'd hate it, but there was this flash of something in your eyes that would tell me you were lying." Lucas' tone of voice changed completely from his usual cocky one, sincerity taking over him.

"What?" Opal managed to splutter out, shock taking over.

"Oh, that was hilarious! You should have seen your face."

"You were joking? Did you think that was funny?"

"I'd be crazy not to." Lucas jested, still laughing.

"What no witty remark?" He questioned when Opal offered no rebuttal.

"Ah the good old silent treatment, you used to give me that a lot. I could always get you to talk by offering you ice cream. So what do you say? Me and you, Lily's parlour?"He questioned, sincerity returning once again.

"Would you be paying?"

"I suppose so."

"If we complete this mission, yes." Opal replied blankly, letting little emotion show. She knew her mistake, she had let her guard down again. From now on she would try tone as reserved as possible.

"You have got a deal."

"Don't think this means I don't still hate you."

"I wouldn't dream of it."