Chapter 4

Opal and Lucas walked in complete silence to the main office, immense tension filling the air. 

"What is it exactly you needed me for?" Opal questioned him, as they arrived outside the door. 

"I don't know, maybe getting on with our assignment." Lucas' teeth were grinding together after each word, irritation seeping through his usual calm composure. 

"Well I was training for it before you interrupted me." Opal replied, leaning next to door as Lucas tapped his card to get in.

"If flirting counts as training now then I must be the best agent here." Lucas smirked as he pushed the door, pressing his back against it to hold it open. 

"Noah and I weren't flirting, he's my best friend." Opal was seething, no one brought the anger in her like Lucas did. She quickly rushed into room hoping to create distance between them.

"I never said Noah, there were plenty of other people there."

"Would you drop this? Noah is like a brother to me, now stop being unprofessional and work out a plan with me." Opal already wanted to take herself off this case, but with her friends being missing she knew she couldn't. 

"I think you should tell him that."

"Tell him what?" Opal questioned as she made her way over to the monitor. 

"I see the way he looks at you, he's clearly in love." Lucas claimed, earning a gasp from Opal.

"That's an awfully big observation, you must look at me a lot." Opal quickly recovered from her state of shock, deciding to twist his words. 

"Stop changing the subject." Lucas gave Opal a hard look, irritation growing. 

"Stop distracting me from working." 

"You were the one who was off making love to your best friend instead of doing the work." He replied putting 'best friend's air quotations.  

"God, I could strangle you." Opal exclaimed, balling her fists together. 

"Kinky." 

"Only if you want it to be." Opal winked, deciding to play along and test him to his limits.  At this, Lucas made a small choking noise, clearly surprised at Opal's reaction. 

"What's the matter can't handle it?" 

"I can handle it just fine, darling." Lucas leaned in closer, his face inches apart from Opal's.  Opal moved her head forward, closing the distance.

"Please tell me you weren't actually just about to let me kiss you." Opal exclaimed, jerking her head back quickly.

"Of course not I don't want whatever diseases
you caught off Noah." Lucas sneered down at her. 

"Come find me when you can behave." 

"Why don't you make me." Lucas called out to Opal's retreating figure. 

"Oh come on Opal, I was just teasing."  

When Opal continued to walk away, offering him no retaliation Lucas reached out to grab her wrist, pulling her back. 

"Fine then let's just get on with the plan so I can go back to pretending you don't exist." Opal replied, walking back to the monitor.  

"Don't be so grouchy, that frown might get stuck one of these days." 

"So far we have abduction sites located here, here and here." Opal pointed at the locations she had pinpointed on the map, ignoring Lucas' previous comment.

"The only pattern is that each site was the location of the agents' current missions, as of now there is no speculation as to why these specific agents were taken."  

"We have a team in Spain looking into Agent Clifford's abduction and team in Serbia looking at Agent Prentiss' abduction. Now we've been assigned Agent Dunbar's case which took place in our very own New York. I think our best course of action is to plan a stake out outside the club where his mission took place and then later on infiltrate the club, undercover."

Opal continued when Lucas offered no insight.   "Thoughts?"  

"How the hell did you know all that?" Lucas queried, a confused look taking over his features. Opal mentally noted that there wasn't a single expression that could make him any less hot, quickly scolding herself when she realised how idiotic she was being. 

"The mission statement we were given.. which judging by your face I'm gathering you haven't read." Opal hissed, annoyed at his lack of capability to follow instructions. 

"I was a little tied up with something, but who needs to read when I have my own personal assent from that." Lucas replied, condescendingly patting Opal on her head, messing up her hair. 

"Im pretty sure you weren't the one tied up.. unless of course you're more of the submissive type." 

"I could always give you a demonstration if you'd like." Lucas smirked, leaning forward forcing Opal to move backwards, pressing against the monitor screen. He then took the chance to hover over her, placing his hand beside her head, making her face turn red instantly.

"I'll pass thanks, unlike some i'm not interested in being your girl off the week." Opal replied, moving herself from under him. 

"So what I'm hearing is that if I was more faithful, you would, I knew you liked me Opal." 

"Don't kid yourself sweetheart you're not my type."  

"No? what is you type then?" Lucas' probed, hoping to get under her skin. 

"Oh you know the usual, tall, handsome, not a complete arsehole and knows where to put it." 

"I know where to put it, I've never heard any complaints!" Lucas' exclaimed wildly, clearly surprised by her accusation. 

"Well that's because they don't complain to you." 

"What the hell does that mean?' 

"Personally, I've heard you're terrible at foreplay, refuse to cuddle afterwards and that you have terrible morning breathe but I'm sure there's more." 

"You'd know that's all of that's wrong though wouldn't you?" Lucas retorted, picking at a subject her knew he really shouldn't. 

"What's the matter Opal can't handle the truth? Do you miss it?" He decided to test her patience further, hoping to get a rise out of her. 

"Leave it alone Lucas, we promised not to bring up the past." 

"Okay, yeah,  let's go over the plan for tomorrow."  Upon seeing how badly his words had upset her, he attempted to change the subject, hurting her hadn't been his intention. 

"After breakfast, at seven, meet me at the training centre. After we've trained we'll go over the plan to scope our the club and prepare the equipment, text me by ten tonight what you require so I can send the plan and equipment request to the director in time." 

"How on earth am I supposed to get your number?"

"That's your problem Lukie Pookie." Opal replied as she left the room, Lucas' eyes roamed on her retreating figure longer than he planned, eyes wondering where they shouldn't.