Chapter 17

Hello! It's been so long I've missed writing a lot. I'm so sorry it's been so long but over the past few weeks I finished year 11 which meant a lot of course work and staying after school to get it done. Thank you to everyone who asked me if I was okay :) I've finally finished school and now have 2 months to write for you so I hope everyone enjoys what I have coming. This chapter is a bit boring but them living across the hall from an international enemy organisation leader is bound to stir up some drama. This book has many mistakes and bad writing, I'm hoping to get the book finished soon so I can edit it and make it better. Thanks for all the support.
———————————————————
"I know we both hate each other but if we're going to sell this then we need to be civil." Opal was stubborn to a fault but if it meant effecting her professionalism she didn't care.

"If you think you'll survive being my fake fiancé then sure, just don't fall for me." Lucas smirked at her, his hubris showing clearly.

"I see you're back to your normal self."

"I'm not gonna let you have that much of an effect on me."

"I'm pretty sure I have a massive effect on you." Opal batted her eyes at him in a flirtatious manner, attempting to show her effect on him.

"Don't flatter yourself." He waved his hand at her dismissively at her, like he often did.

"So this does nothing, huh?" Opal questioned as she got closer to him, staring him in the eyes.

"Nope, nothing at all." Lucas coughed, attempting to act normal, before stepping back to create distance between them.

"Are you certain?"

"Let's get going, yeah? Don't want to be late."

"That's what I thought." Opal smiled smugly before stepping away from him.

"Oh please that had nothing to do with you."

"Deception isn't a good look on you."

"Every look is good on me." Lucas boasted, running his hands along the lapels of his leather jacket for emphasis.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night. So Director Peterson has sent everything over that we'll need, all we need to do is grab the boxes from the truck that's waiting for us. Obviously we need to bring our own luggage too."

"Easy peasy then."

"Yup."

"Are you driving or am I?"

"Since I'm so generous I'll let you drive." Opal placed her hand over her chest where her heart sits as if to signify her generosity.

"You're just tired aren't you?"

"Of course not I'm just feeling particularly kind today."

"You never feel kind, you're just lazy." Lucas informed her jokingly with a smile.

"Me? Lazy? How dare you."

"Very good job agents you already seem like a couple." The director noted as she entered the room.

Both Opal's and Lucas' face visibly paled upon hearing what the Director said.
Whatever remained between the two of them was an unspoken topic, almost as if they had somehow both agreed to deny it and push it down. This meant that hearing someone bring it up was a harsh reminder of the past, so much so Opal felt like she had been hit.

"Oh, thank you Director Peterson, you know us always working." After regaining her posture and swallowing roughly, Opal replied, half joking, hoping her enthusiasm was convincing enough.

"Which is precisely why you two are being trusted with this important matter, so don't go messing it up."

"Yes ma'am." They replied simultaneously making the situation even more awkward if that was even possible.

"Can you believe that? Since when was talking flirting?" Opal's tone was cheery and lighthearted, it was a horrible attempt at hiding whatever emotions she felt towards the matter.

"She's just old she has no idea what flirting looks like." Lucas dismissed the topic, hoping to take her kind off it.

"Yeah you're probably right."

"Well we should get going the van will be there in roughly 30 minutes." Opal added to ease the tension.

"Good plan."

"Right well follow me to my car then. You know I'm still not happy with the idea that I only get to drive when you're tired."

"It's what a gentleman would do. You do want to pass on good qualities about you to the other girls don't you?"

"Is this your way of negotiating?" Lucas rose his eyebrows at her attempt to get him to drop the subject, not that the offer didn't interest him.

"Yes consider it a fair deal." Opal stuck her hand out for him to shake, his larger, slightly warm hand reaching out to do so.

"Ahh yes the hands of a proper lady, calloused, cold and worn out."

"And just when we were being civil you had to ruin it. Just because your idea of a women is an idiotic gold digger who has never worked a day in her life doesn't mean it's everyone's." Opal defended, yanking her hand back harshly in upset.

"Oh come on I can't even joke anymore? You didn't mind the teasing when we were together."

"Well I was young and stupid."

"How far did you park? We have parking at the academy." Opal questioned after another two minutes of walking. By now that had walked a good fifteen minutes which which odd considering they had parking next door.

"Yes but I don't use it." Lucas answered as if it were perfectly normal. Opal found it all too suspicious.

"That's stupid. Why not?" Opal pressed, hoping to get some answers.

"I have my reasons."

"Right what's the the mysterious, secretive act? You forget I know exactly how sensitive and nice you can be."

"Well let's see, I loved this girl then she broke my heart into thousands of pieces. That's got to change a person hasn't it?" His tone made him seem like he was joking but the hurt behind it was easily heard.

"Harsh. I'll drop this till the case is over but this conversation isn't finished." Opal sneered at him, annoyed by his lack of answers.

"Do you just need time to plan your argument?"

"Drop the 20 questions."

"Says you. Right here we are." Lucas gestured towards a sleek black sports car, one that had been specifically designed and
modified by the academy.

"I forgot you drove such a douche bag car."

"Hey don't insult the car okay that's where I draw the line."

"You're awfully protective of a chunk of metal." Opal laughed at his distress towards the insult.

"You take that back."

"I don't think I will."

"Don't make me ask you twice." Lucas stared into her eyes seriously, his narrowing into an angry stare.

"What are you gonna do about it?"

"You don't want to know."

"Ooo scary." Opal put her hands up to shield herself in a joking manner.

"Sleep with one eye open." Lucas warned her, whisky fishing out his keys.

"You forget I don't sleep, I'm always prepared."

"You should get some therapy or something, all that lack of sleep and filling up on coffee is bound to catch up with you one day." Lucas replied as he got in the car. If she didn't know him better she would have said he sounded rather concerned.

"Like you wouldn't be happy to see me go."

"Of course I would."  For a moment Opal thought he was being genuine, that was until he added "Then I'd lose my competition and I'd just effortlessly be the best at the academy. Sounds boring."