Chapter 9

The drive back was torture. All Opal wanted was to be quietly sobbing into her pillow, music blasting throughout her apartment. After that she would move on as usual,she couldn't be weak.

Instead of returning to the academy like she was supposed to she was planning on going home. Opal was letting her emotions affect her professionalism, something she had been trained not to do. This assignment was going to kill her if she wasn't careful, which was certainly something someone wanted.

Opal was used to being in danger, she was always figuring out things others couldn't, things that people didn't want her to know. This made life quite lonely, she didn't want to put anyone in harms way by being in her life. After what happened to her sister and her break up with Lucas, she swore she wouldn't let any untrained people into her life.

When she pulled up to the apartment block's carpark, she roughly pulled on the brakes, her motorcycle screeching to a sudden halt. She stood it up in her parking spot before sprinting towards the building entrance. Luckily, she was only on the 2nd floor meaning she would be in her apartment soon. Upon reaching her door, she realised she didn't have the keys, so she decided to pick the lock instead.

In her frazzled state, her guard was down, she hadn't noticed the clear signs that she wasn't alone, that someone had already picked it. This meant that it was such a shock to her when she saw the mystery man rifling through her stuff.

Opal could tell that it was a guy from his build, broad shoulders and sloppy movements. She was trained to spot things like this.

She quietly crept over to him, launching her foot roughly into his back. He fell to the floor with a loud thud, letting out a surprised huff. Opal could tell he hadn't expected anyone to be home meaning he knew that she was staying at the academy currently, this worried her. Acting quickly she grabbed the rope out her bag, tying his wrists behind his back uncomfortably.

"What the hell are you doing in my apartment?" Opal shouted, seething with anger.

"Was that actually supposed to work?" The way he laughed at her made Opal want to throttle him to death, it was so callous and demeaning.

"Shut up, I'm asking the questions here. You have about two seconds to answer my question before my knife goes through your throat."

"I'm willing to die for the cause." He sounded smug, way too proud for his own good, something Opal couldn't wait to beat out of him.

"Right well I guess I'll have to go the torture route. It's one of my personal favourites, I'm so glad to get to share the great experience with you."

"Wait I-" He stuttered out as he attempted to sit up, Opal interrupting him with her foot on his back pushing him back down.

"Oo sorry times up." Opal teased as she pulled out her phone. "This is Agent Carson, I have a code green at my apartment, requesting transport and backup."

"Okay let's not be drastic, I'm sure we can work something out here sweetheart."

"I might have let you go if you weren't such a noble dickhead."

"I've heard you talking to your boy toy, we both know you're as entirely devoted to the agency as am I to mine." His voice was calm and friendly , it was clear he was trying too manipulate her by finding a shared interest.

"You bugged us?"

"Shit. They are gonna kill me."

"Yeah shit, who the hell trained you? I haven't even punched you yet and you're breaking."

"Maybe I'm just intimidated by your beauty." Opal had to admit that he was rather funny, his sarcasm was almost charming. Perhaps if it wasn't for the circumstances they would have been good friends.

"If that was your attempt at flattery it didn't work. Plus you don't even know if I'm a beauty."

"I know exactly who you are and what you look like Opal Carson."

"That's just creepy." Opal grimaced slightly, but brushed it off quickly with a laugh.

"You know I like you."

"Yeah well I guess I like you too. You know if you co-operated fully with the organisation I could get you a deal, maybe you could work with us." Opal was using her training to attempt to get something out of him, although she had too admit that she did actually like the idea of him working there.

"I'm a loyal man OC, you won't get much out of me."

"A nickname already? Our friendship just started, this relationship is moving too fast. I'm not much of a commitment kind of girl." Opal joked, forgetting momentarily the situation she was in. "Wait what's your name?" She added.

"The handsome and sexy agent Alex."

"Agent Carson.You requested back up, correct?" The agent startled her slightly, they had arrived quicker than she had anticipated.

"Yeah for this dip shit right here." Opal jested, gesturing towards him.

"Ouch. And just when I thought we were becoming best friends." He faked a hurt voice, playing into Opal's previous banter.

"Opal thank god you're okay." Noah appeared from behind the group of agents, quickly rushing towards his friend.

"Noah, what are you doing here?"

"I heard the directer talking about a code green and then she said your name and I panicked."

"Does this mean I'm forgiven?" Opal smile at him hopefully, she had missed him thoroughly.

"Only if I am pixie." He reached forward to hug her, both relieved to be in each other's lives again.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Lucas spat out, mirroring Noah's previous actions, appearing in Opal's apartment.

"Yay Lukie is here." Opal cheered sarcasm dripping from her words.

"I'm here because I'm her best friend, what are you doing here?"

"I'm her partner. For the case, it's important I'm here to gather evidence for it." Lucas added on the second part quickly after, realising how it just have sounded. He was by no means her partner anything but professionally.

"Now I see why you denied my love OC, you've already got two fine men fighting for your affection." Alex jumped into the conversation.

"I'm not fighting for her affection." Lucas and Noah both simultaneously denied his accusation, sounding offended.

"Right let's get back to the academy I need food and sleep."  Opal was hungry, tired and completely fed up with men.

———————————————————
Sorry this one wasn't all that interesting, it was more of a filler chapter that's necessary to the plot. Lucas and Opal will be back to their typical banter tomorrow.

I've decided that I should have a schedule for posting so it's gonna be every Friday, Saturday and Wednesday unless I feel like doing more.

What did you guys think of Alex? I thought it was only fair to give Opal an evil partner in crime, she needs a bit of fun in her life.