Chapter 14

Noah was once again on watch. He had been trying to put it off as long as possible, his emotions were all over the place and he was becoming stressed. With Opal still out of her mission he had no one to talk to.

"You've been avoiding me." Alex stated as Noah approached the cell.

"I warned you I wasn't ready, you said you'd wait, so if you've changed your mind then that's okay. I just need time, it's hard and I'm so confused. The way I feel about you is so different to what I feel for Opal. When I'm with you it's exciting and new, but when I'm with her it's familiar and calming. I'm not even sure I ever loved her or if I stopped at some point. I've never had mutual love I don't even know what it is. Point is, I just need to press pause on whatever is happening here. I like you, I really do but let's just slow it down?" Noah rambled out.

"Well I'm in jail so I don't really have a choice." Alex joked trying to lighten the mood. "I was serious about waiting, I get it you're not over her, that's okay." He added when he saw the glare Noah shot him.

"Thank you, now you up for a chat? Opal isn't back yet and I need to talk to someone about what I saw in the cafeteria earlier."

"I'm all ears."

———————————————————
"Wake up, idiot." Opal screamed at Lucas who was still fast asleep despite the several alarms she had set. She had now resulted to smacking a pillow against him.

Lucas, in his deep sleep hadn't registered that it was Opal who had come in his room. He reached up without looking and grabbed her wrists, slamming her into the bed, landing on top of her.

"What the hell are you doing?" He grumbled, in a low, rough morning voice when he realised it was her.

"Trying to wake you up so we can get out of this hell hole. I've been screaming at you for like 5 minutes, I could have murdered you and you wouldn't have woken up." Opal rambled, attempting to avoid looking at his shirtless chest.

"Oh please,who's got who held down?"

"Yeah you can get off now." Opal requested sourly, slapping him on the chest for emphasis.

"You sure you want me to?"

"Positive. Now come on we have to find the car and get back."

"Why are you in such a rush?" Lucas questioned.

"When I called Director Peterson last night she said we have to get back by 7:30 it's already 6:30 and it's at least a 35 minute drive. We still need to get the house tidy and walk to the car."

"Okay jeez stop panicking I'm getting up."

"You can drive this time I'm tired." Opal informed him as she got off the bed.

"Oh yeah thank you so much, now we're tired it's time for me to drive."

"Well you were asking last night."

"It's a little late now." Lucas sassed.

"Oh boohoo you'll get over it."

Opal walked out the room shortly after, Lucas climbing out of bed and chucking on his shirt to follow her. Once they were both ready they quickly straightened the house out as much as possible before leaving.

"Okay so it's 20 minutes North now."

"I know how geography works thanks."

"Someone's sour when they don't get enough sleep."

"That's your fault, you're the one who made cookies."

"No one said you had to eat them, you seemed pretty intent when you were stuffing your face with them."

"Oh please they weren't even that good." Lucas lied. They were actually the best cookies he's ever eaten and he still wanted the recipe, but he'd never admit that of course.

"You ate three quarters of the plate."

"Out of pity."

"More like out of greed."

"Why do you always start arguments?"

"I can't believe you of all people just said that. I always try to keep things professional you just know how to push my buttons." Opal rolled her eyes at him, she couldn't believe his audacity. When she looked back at him she immediately knew what he was about to say. "You make that into something dirty and I'll kill you right here." Opal threatened before he could reply.

"Down girl."

"Once again let's stick to silence the rest of the way."

"Fine by me. I swear you always find a reason to get mad at me, we can never just be fine with each other."

Opal, sticking with her previous statement continued to not acknowledge him, instead she pulled out her phone. She pulled up Lucas' contact and sent him quick text saying 'that's not silence'.

"Real mature."

After continuing to walk for another ten or so minutes the two found the car. Opal did a quick survey of the area to make sure no one was there. She also checked the car for listening and tracking devices.

"It's al clear."

"So now you'll talk to me." Lucas facial expression was frantic and exaggerated.

"Since this qualifies as mission operation I'm going to have to request you now keep it civil and professional till we arrive at the academy."

"Why of course your highness."

"Much appreciated." Opal smiled, not giving into his childish behaviour.

"Whatever."

"Here are the keys, now drive." She chucked him the keys, Lucas catching them in one hand without so much as a glance her way.

"Yay!" He exclaimed sarcastically.
———————————————————
"Opal you're finally back!" Noah exclaimed sincerely as she entered the academy lobby. The drive back from the safe house had been tense and quiet, she had practically jumped out the car and sprinted there.

"Have you been waiting for me?" Opal's words were slightly muffled by his shoulder as he hugged her. She was partially concerned Noah still had a crush on her, she could see in his eyes that he still wasn't completely happy.

"Of course, I'm too bored without you."

"We've spent way longer apart." Opal pointed out.

"Yes but I was busy with mission stuff."

"So how's things with you and Alex?"

"I'd rather not discuss that, I'm not ready for it to be anything yet."

"Okay well I can see you're dying to tell me some gossip so why don't we talk about that instead?"

"Sounds perfect." Noah smiled at her genuinely, he was glad she understood, it made it easier.

———————————————————
That's it for today I'm afraid :( I'll probably update tomorrow though because I've been more inspired recently and I'm on break so I have more time.