Chapter 5

Opal and Noah were currently sitting in one of the academy's many communal areas, sprawled out on one of the couches. This was something they did every night they could, acting like normal teenagers even if just for a few moments.

"Do you think he'll actually get your number?" Noah questioned, a large smirk spreading across his face as he pictured Lucas struggling to get Opal's number. This situation was obviously extremely amusing to him while to Opal, it was one of sheer anxiety. It was only now she considered that what she had done was extremely unprofessional, something she didn't think of in the heat of the moment.

"I wouldn't doubt him, don't you remember last year? He managed to find out the venue of the surprise birthday party you threw me." Last year on Opal's birthday most of the academy had been invited to her party, Lucas being his usual spiteful self managed to find out the location and show up.

"True but that was only to spite you, I don't think his brain actually works unless it's for his own personal vendetta." Opal was suprized that he hadn't actually done anything to actively ruin the party other than be there.

"Or to chase after some a girl only to dump her the week after." Opal grimaced, thinking about all the poor girl's hearts Lucas had broken, his awful reputation was well known, especially to her, being the one who had caused it.

Opal's phone then started to ring, effectively breaking her out of her thoughts.

"I guess he got my number." Opal groaned, as she reached to answer her phone.

"I already asked Matthew to reserve my guns and cleared everything I needed to with director ." Lucas sounded too prideful, Opal could practically feel his smarmy smirk through the phone.

"Why'd you bother calling then?"

"Just to inform you that you serve no purpose in this assignment and I'd be fine without you."

"I'm pretty sure you require the ability to read to be useful so, no you wouldn't be fine without me." Opal reminded him cooly, not letting his childish remarks upset her.

"Hey I can read I just-"

"Sure, okay now Lukie indulge my curiosity how'd you get my number?" Opal heard him huff as she interrupted him.

"Cassandra had it, I asked and she gave it to me, simple."

"Simple? Nothing is ever simple with you, what did you do to that poor girl?"

"I didn't do anything to her, nothing bad anyways." Opal already knew what he had done, and by her standards it was something very bad.

"Oh God you kissed her didn't you? That poor girl!" Opal's voice was loud and dramatic, drawing the attention of Noah and many others, causing her to duck her head down slightly in embarrassment, her hair falling over her face protectively.

"You never used to complain."

"And I'm hanging up, as always it was an utter delight to talk to you."

"That was Lucas I presume?" Noah asked, judging by her tone that it was most definitely him.

"No it was just another annoying bastard who has my number and whom I call Lukie."

"Don't get sarcastic with me young lady." Noah chided as he poked her nose, like he often did.

"Well I should head off to bed now, early training tomorrow." Opal swatted away Noah's hand quickly before getting up to leave.

"Training? Did we have something planned?" He looked thoroughly confused, Opal felt very bad for what she was about to tell him.

"Oh, I thought I told you. I have to train with Lucas tomorrow, something about bonding."

"You agreed?"

"Why wouldn't I?" Opal was genuinely curious as to why should we disagree.

"We have never trained with other people before, just surprised is all." Opal couldn't believe him, they had most definitely trained apart for cases before he was just being petty because of who it was.

"Don't do this Noah, please just leave it okay."

"Can you really blame me for acting like this? We hate him remember, us two against the world." Noah scoffed at her, in complete disbelief at what she was saying.

"Its still us against the world Noah, this is just for a case okay."

"Yeah okay, whatever."

"We'll talk more about this tomorrow okay?" Opal tried to shifty topics so she could escape this awkward situation and sleep her problems away. Opal received a half-hearted grunt in response, showing her how angry he was. He always wished her a goodnight, a bright smile painted on his face, an identical one immediately flashing across Opal's.

Once she waved him a goodbye, Opal picked herself off the sofa and began walking towards her room, considering all the things and worlds she could think about before bed, to try and force her desires into her dreams. There were a number of places Opal liked to dream about most, all of them coming from books. She lived an extraordinary life of action and adventure yet every night she still wished to be in places like Narnia or Hogwarts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again, Opal awoke to the sun dancing across her, the low hum of her radio filling the air. Ever since her sister died Opal had trouble sleeping, the music was something that helped calm the nightmares, even if it was just a little.

Opal quickly showered and changed out of her bed clothes, she was happy to return to her normal routine as Noah's arrival had altered it, it was nice having him back but things felt different between them. Unless she ate with Noah, Opal didn't tend to eat in the dining hall for breakfast so instead she ate a small green apple before leaving to train.

As she walked down the hallway she considered all the ways that this could go wrong, and how she could avoid murdering him. There was a time, not so long ago, where Opal would have been delighted to have training with Lucas, but now she wished for anything but.

"Ready to train?" Lucas questioned as he appeared out of nowhere.

No. No she wasn't.