Chapter 10

Opal and Lucas were both currently sitting in-front of Director Peterson, being reprimanded for tonight's poor actions. After they had taken Alex into custody, they had both been called into her office.

"I'm starting to think that I might have out
the wrong agents on this assignment. Clearly the pair of you are too childish to work together and seem to neglect the rules when it suits them." Opal had never seen her Director so mad and disappointed.

"Director Peterson, I can assure you that are disagreements do not effect our professionalism. Not to mention I would never break any rules."

"No? What were you doing at your apartment Agent Carson?"

"Just gathering some essentials ma'am." Opal was determined not to mention why she was really there, she had been selfish and unprofessional.

"The rules are, Agent Carson, that no agent on a boarded mission leaves the academy for anything other than duty."

"With all due respect, article 64 states that an agent can leave the academy if it's for something that will aid in their assignment." She was lying through her teeth now, she felt really bad but she needed to finish this mission, for her sister."

"And how does visiting your apartment help the assignment?"

"I needed to grab some essentials items which help me sleep, ma'am."

"Of course Agent Carson, but you should have asked me to require that stuff for you, you know I've been perfectly understanding about the situation." This made her feel even worse, her boss was being so kind and understanding, while she was lying to her.

"I know, I should have asked you or gotten permission to go myself, it was unprofessional and I apologise profusely."

"It's forgotten, but I can't forget what the two of you did at your stake out. Well, more like what you didn't do. You let them get away agents, this can't be tolerated. Your job is find those agents, I trusted you. I'm giving you two one last chance to prove yourselves before you're off this mission for good." Opal could tell from the tone of her voice that she was being deadly serious, she was now determined more than ever not to mess up.

"Yes ma'am."

"Agent Easton you stay behind."

"I'll go question the elistas agent." Opal bowed quickly before scampering out the room.
———————————————————
"Hey Alex. How they treating you?" Opal questioned as she entered his cell.

"Like an enemy of the academy, who broke into an agent's apartment and knew classified information." He rolled his eyes at her dramatically, laying back down on the bed at the corner of his cell.

"Well at least you can joke about it. I brought you some Pringles from the kitchens."

"Oh I love you, Lucas and Noah will have to move aside." Alex joked as he grabbed the bag Opal had tossed at him.

"I know you're joking, but if you mention those two again I'll drop kick you."

"Well I just think you should tell Noah nothing's going to happen. Poor guy is clearly in love with you and you've friend zoned him." He rambled as he chomped down on his crisps, tiny bits flying out.

"'Gross, don't eat and talk, and Noah doesn't like me, he's had plenty of girlfriends and boyfriends."

"Boyfriends? I'll have him if you don't want him. Anyways that's just plenty of girls he's wished were you."

"He's like a brother to me, he knows that. I mean we grew up in the academy together, we were trained side by side."

"What do you think that does to a guy? He's had a crush on you forever, and when you got older he fell in love with you." Alex grasped his heart in fake admiration, like he was telling some dramatic story of great heartbreak.

"Are you saying it's my fault? Why can't I just be friends with a guy." Opal complained as she grabbed a crisp out his bag. The two were gossiping like old friends despite being technical enemies.

"Of course it's not your fault OC, but it's not his either. You got to let him down gently or your friendship will never be the same."

"God I'm supposed to be questioning you not getting a therapy session." Opal reached out to lightly push his arm, as if to reprimand him.

"Well you can tell them I confirmed I'm working for the elistas and that's as far as I go because of my loyalty and crap."

"What happened to the big pledging my alliance speech?

"Oh that crap? Your apartment was bugged they were listening in." Alex laughed at her like she was crazy.

"So you're not loyal?"

"God no, I'm in it for the money sweetheart."

"You're amazing."
———————————————————
"What was that about you needing stuff to sleep? You still having those nightmares about your sister?" Lucas had finished with Director Peterson and was now harassing Opal in the food hall.

"Yeah I am, and you not letting me save that agent is not helping."

"Are you still not over that? I was trying to make sure you didn't get yourself killed, and more importantly me."

"Am I still not over you stopping me from saving my sister? Are you serious? Of course I'm not over it, she's gone because of you. Every night I hear her screams, see her face as she's ripped away from me. Everyday I miss her, I wish she was back here so I could tell her all of my problems. I'm latching onto an enemy agent for God's sake. I'm so tired of missing her and it's all your fault, all of it." Opal was near enough crying by now. She has buried these emotions down for so long and now they were all coming out at once.

"That's a definite reason to go to a therapy session if I've ever heard one."

"You're such an arsehole."

"I know, the girls love it."

"I hate you, I've never meant it more than I do right now."

"Right back at you."

——————————————————-
I'm so sorry about missing my updates this week. I'm updating three times today instead and will be back to normal next week. I had some exams this week and I'm still settling back into school so it's all a bit hectic. Good news is I'm on break soon so I'll be updating a bunch.

Also I know I said we'd get more of Opal and Lucas this chapter but I had too much fun writing in Alex.