Chapter 18

Disclaimer : This is unedited and awful

————————————————-
"Okay so we just need to carry these boxes in and look like we're moving in?" Lucas questioned, as each of them grabbed a box from the fake moving van. There was only a few in there, heavy furniture and decor had been sorted by the agency.

"That's the plan." Opal sighed, already having enough of him. The drive up had been infuriating, meaning she was in no mood to indulge his lack of an attention span. She knew all of this was for the greater good, she just didn't know if it was worth the headache.

"Right well we also need to look like a couple so we should probably kiss right? Just for the job?" Lucas smirked at her, before leaning in close, their lips inches apart, Opal' breath hitching in her throat. Quick as possible she thrashed her head to the side to avoid him, just missing the unwanted gesture.

"In your dreams." She jested, before stepping away to create distance between them.

"Oh you know it is."

"Just shut up and carry this box in."

"When we get upstairs put your arm round me and start acting all lovey dovey."

"If you wanted me all you had to do was ask. You really didn't need to create this whole mission just to get closer to me. It comes off a little desperate."

"You know damn well it's to keep up this stupid facade." Opal whispered harshly. "Now shut up before someone hears you." She added.

"Sorry, babe." Lucas winked at her, a devilish smirk making its way across his face.

"That's okay honey." Opal faked a sickly sweet tone, trying her best not to stab herself before the mission had even really started.

"Now should we move into our new apartment together?"

"I'd love nothing more." Lucas gave her a tight, fake smile, failing completely to play his part.

"You know they really could have just filled these boxes with like packing peanuts or something, this is damn heavy." He added as they made their way to the apartment complex.

"And if a certain someone offered to help and felt how light it was?" Opal raised her eyebrow at him in annoyance.

"Fair point. I think it's worth the risk to save me all this effort though."

"My attraction for you just keeps growing. I mean you really just have so many great qualities. I think it's the laziness that just makes you so irresistible. Or no maybe it's the sloppiness or the-"

"Okay, alright, you've had your fun." Lucas interrupted, clearly having had enough of the damage to his ego.

"Oh I'm not nearly finished, I haven't even got to the charming personality yet." Opal replied as they reached the entrance. The doorman opened the door for them, both uttering a small thank you and flashing a smile before walking to the elevator.

"No way!" A cheery voice exclaimed from beside them. They glanced away from each other, gaze landing on Romero's girlfriend.

"Oh my god, hey! I never did get your name, I feel so rude now." Opal smiled warmly at the girl, pretending as if she didn't already know her name.

"And I never got yours. It's Blair by the way."

"Blair, that's a lovely name. I'm Opal, it's nice to see you again."

"Thank you. I love yours it's so precious. So what brings you here?" She questioned, looking at the boxes before adding, "ah moving, silly question."

"Yes! And it's all thanks to you actually. When you mentioned that lovely apartment in Brooklyn I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to mend my relationship. We're actually engaged now, all that talk about the future and communication really helped. I owe it all to you really." Opal mentally cringed at her fabricated story. By now her deception skills were very exceptional, she never thought she'd have to use them in such an unfortunate way.

"Oh my god! That's amazing. And such a coincidence, my boyfriend just proposed to me yesterday. I'm actually having a party tonight with some friends, you have to come." Blair squealed excitedly, practically jumping up and down.

"That's awesome, I'm so happy for you! Of course I'd love to come, what time?"

In reality, Opal was disgusted at the thought, she actually really liked the girl and felt bad she was engaged to her next target. However, she couldn't stop the genuine smile that flashed across her face, she had never had a girlfriend before, or been invited to a party.

"Great, it's at 7. Give me your phone and I'll put my number in."

"Uh yeah sure." Opal fished her decoy phone out her pocket, making sure it was the right one before placing it in the blonde's outstretched hand.

"There all done."  She replied before handing it back.

"Perfect, see you later?"

"You're not escaping me that easy. You must have a lot of boxes, I'll help."

"Oh no we really couldn't ask you to do that."

"You didn't ask, I'm offering. Besides, we have to discuss outfits anyways."

"Well thank you, let us just take these boxes up and then we can all get some more."

Lucas and Opal shared a look of discomfort before stepping into the elevator. Despite Blair's sweetness, it was going to be annoying to keep this facade going without having prepared thoroughly first. Now, they only had the time it takes to put the boxes in the apartment.

"This is going to be fun." Lucas muttered sarcastically.

"More like a nightmare." Opal huffed, exhaustion making her short fuzed.

"I don't think you should go to that party, I don't trust that girl."

"Aww, are you worried about me Lukie?"

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm just worried you'll mess up the mission." Lucas waved her off.

—————————————————————-
Where to start? Firstly I'm sorry. I have no real excuse for my absence. I absolutely love this book and writing it has always brought me joy. So as soon as it started to feel like a chore I knew it was time to take a break. It was a lot to handle on top of my school stuff and I felt like I was letting people down by not posting frequently. I'm going to try my hardest to post at least twice a month. I know I've probably lost a lot of people over this but u hope a few of you still want to read.