Chapter 15

"Whoever this is, I don't care and I will kill you." Lucas sneered into his phone. He had been fast asleep when they first called. It was now the fourth time, he was wide awake, and he was furious to say the least.

"Charming." Opal answered sarcastically, not at all freightened or effected by his threat.

"You." He grumbled upon hearing it was Opal.

'"Me."

"What the hell do you want at six in the morning?"

"We have a scheduled briefing at 6:30. Someone needs to make sure you wake up for breakfast, you're mean when you're hungry."

"Fine, whatever. I'll meet you outside your room in 5."

"We're not eating breakfast together." Opal stated clearly, leaving no room for argument.

"No briefing and no breakfast then." Lucas always seemed rot resort to blackmail.

"Why do you to eat with me so bad?"

"I knew it would get a rise out of you."

"I hate you." Opal could practically feel his smirk through the phone and that made her extremely angry.

"Ditto."

Opal herself was already dressed and ready. She was wearing a cream cami, the sweetheart neckline stitched with a opalesant lace and a pink leather skirt that was breathable in case of combat. Underneath the skirt, she wore a pair of gymnastic shorts that would cover her when fighting. When she heard Lucas knock at the door she grabbed her leather blazer, gathering in her arms.

"Get all dressed up just for me?" He flashed her a smirk, eyes grazing up and down her. His question was rather ironic seeming as he was dressed up a lot just for breakfast and walking about the academy.

"Yes because when women get up in the morning all we think about is what a man would like us to wear." Opal narrowed her eyes at him, lips curling into a frown before walking away.

"Alright, don't go getting all feminist on me, I was just joking, I'm not some moronic misogynistic so go preach where it's worth it."

"I'm surprised you know what half those words mean." Opal turned to face him snorting at her words, her nose scrunching up, like a bunny.

"I don't get you. One minute you're preaching about how I'm wasting my intelligence then you basically call me thick."

"You're not exactly innocent of that are you? You flirt with me one minute and the insult me the next. We don't like each other, we've been forced to work together and we're trying to remain as professional as possible but it's not easy. We'll never have to speak again after this."

"Perfect." Lucas spat out, face contorting into a tight, fake smile.

"Now let's go get something to eat, then we'll have the meeting, okay?"

"Don't tell me we have to brief the director again." Lucas pouted dramatically.

"Okay I won't tell you."

"Do I have to be there?"

"Yes, she wants us both to brief her to show her we can work together and that we are the best agents for this case." Opal informed him, using her fingers to put air quotations around best agents.

"God it's going to feel like a grade 5 presentation."

"It's not like you have to bring a memory stick and learn a part, just chip in here and there."

"So you'll do all the work? Sounds good to me." Lucas crossed his arms over his chest in content.

"As per usual." Opal muttered as they turned down the corridor that led to the cafeteria.

"I supply the looks."

"No I supply the looks, smarts and skills. You supply... nothing actually."

"Whatever you want to believe." Lucas singsongedZ.

"Do you not remember letting that Elistas agent take you? Or the part where we were forced to stay in a safe house because of your stupidity?"

"That was a one time thing. You need to learn to let things go."

"Says the boy who's not over getting dumped."

"Oh please I can't go five minutes without hearing about your sister." Lucas laughed harshly.

"That's different and you know it. I lost her and it's your fault, the worst thing I did to you was break your heart."

"You fucked me up Opal. You built me and up and then destroyed me, you may have lost your sister but I lost myself. Don't you dare say for a second that what happened to me doesn't matter." Lucas' face turned into a shade of bright red, arms flailing aggressively, anger rising.

"Fuck this, I'm going." Lucas added on when she didn't even bother looking at him, let alone replying.

———————————————————

"Director Peterson I'm here to brief you." Opal spoke up and she entered her office.

"Where is agent Easton?" Director Peterson questioned upon seeing just Opal enter.

"He couldn't make it ma'am."

"And why is that?"

"Time sensitive mission errand. I won't bore you with the details until it becomes significant." As desperate as she was to rat him out she knew it would only make things worst.

"Very well, you're fine to brief me alone?"

"Of course." She nodded politely.

"Please sit."

"As you know we went undercover at the club yesterday. I only told you part if the information I gained. Not only did I work out it's a chain of dark business and crimes but I found a way to work out where Romeraz lives." Opal spoke slowly and clearly, trying to brief her as professionally as possible.

"Very impressive agent Carson, carry on."

"I found the girlfriend, I conversed with her and got personal. She told me that their apartment had a beautiful view of Brooklyn. I think we could use our intelligence here to find it."

"I think we can make that work, thank you agent. I'll let you know if we find anything."

"Thank you Ma'am."

———————————————————

"And then he just walked off." Opal finished telling her friends about Lucas.

"I don't know why you didn't just tell Director Peterson." Noah muttered.

"It would just make things worse." Opal waved her hand dismissively.

"I'm with Opal sorry hun." Alex spoke up.

"You're supposed to be on my side." He pouted dramatically, looking at Alex with sad eyes.

"In most cases I try to be but Opal is right, plus if she tells the director now then they'll suspect her when she murders him."

"I'm not going to murder him." Opal laughed wholeheartedly at him.

"I've been around him for a total of 5 minutes and I already want to. Especially after all these stories you've told me." Alex stoped closer to her, grabbing a hold of the bars.

"That's just since they've been working together you haven't even heard the worst of it."

"It gets worse?"

"Very." Noah answered for her.

"Noah I can answer for myself thank you." Opal joked.

"Oh Opal I forgot you were here." He rolled his eyes at her jokingly.

"Shut up." She shoved his shoulder playfully.

——————————————————-
I officially have service and wifi again! Thanks for all the likes and comments recently I love you all for that <3