Chapter 13

Opal couldn't sleep, despite being exhausted, the threat of nightmares kept her awake. In all the drama she had forgotten that without her medication sleep was impossible.It had been about an hour since she had climbed into bed and now she had grown bored of the tossing and turning. Like she used to most nights before she got her medication she decided to raid the kitchen. After groggily slipping on her slippers and dressing gown she made her way downstairs.

The cupboards were filled with generics; chips, chocolate, biscuits and breadsticks. However none of those were what caught her eye. In the cupboard was baking ingredients, ones she could used to make cookies like she used to with her sister when her parents were fighting. Despite what everyone thinks their family wasn't perfect, they were happy at times, but those times always ended. Sometimes when the fighting got really bad they would sneak down and make chocolate chip cookies, her big sister guiding her. For them the academy was a blessing, even then they would still sneak down to the kitchens on occasion as a tradition.

Brushing the thoughts of her sister aside, she preheated the oven and then began putting the ingredients in the bowl she had grabbed. Opal hummed quietly to herself as she mixed, feeling at peace for the first time that night.

"What the hell are you doing." Lucas appeared in the door way, effectively startling Opal. In her fright she instinctively launched the mixing spoon at him.

"You idiot, you scared the shit out of me."

"That hurt." He whined, rubbing the spot on his head where it had hit him. Swiftly, he reached down to pick it up before walking over and placing it on the counter. 

"Good you deserved it." Opal sneered, crossing her arms in annoyance.

"Care to answer my question."

"I'm making cookies." Opal replied in a snarky tone as if to signal it was was obvious.

"Like you used to with your sister?"

"God, I forgot I told you that."

"Well you didn't always hate me, in fact you even used to love me." Lucas' words held sincerity, something that surprised her deeply, he only ever brought up the past to torture her.

"Yeah well things change."

"Not completely." Their eyes locked for a few seconds, unspoken emotions swirling in them. For a moment it was like old times, an unexplainable moment that no one could ever be a part of but them. Opal could tell he was disheartened, the mood had shifted and the air was tense, she had to change that. Reaching in the bag of flour she grabbed a small handful and slapped it against his chest.

"You didn't."

"Oh but I did." Opal laughed, rubbing the flour into shirt.

"I'm gonna kill you." Lucas spat out at her. For a moment Opal was worried he really was angry until his furious expression broke out into a smile, Lucas grabbed some flour and pushed it into her face.

"The face, really?" Opal pouted, reaching to brush the flour off her cheeks.

"Payback is a bitch." 

"Are we gonna make these cookies or continue acting like children."

"Alright I'll behave but only because I've missed these cookies." Lucas replied, gesturing towards the dough in the mixing bowl.