Chapter LXVI

Chapter Sixty-Six | To Be In Your Presence
______

D E L A N O

My mind races with an overwhelming emotion that scorns a crater in my heart, bringing forth unsettling questions and images that have words sizzling on the surface of my tongue, the urge to roar with rage: to let them know of this unknown entity that appeared within me. This emotion brings a twitch to my fingers, their trembling casting my attention away from the consuming sensation; I curl them to fist by my sides as I walk the length of the halls, the clicks of my shoes echoing through its spacious depth.

This emotion clogs my being, becoming one with my energy as it slicks from my pores and coats the air that surrounds me. Vaguely, the smell of stale flesh grasps my awareness that others were also occupying the space of the hall, their short gasps of surprise at my appearance further confirming my thoughts, releasing a stuttering breath; my feet continue to take me down the path toward the maiden that took my internal breath hostage.

My eyes greet the awaiting door, each raise of my leg bringing me closer: and causing a clammy feeling to surface the palms of my hands, I brush them against my pants' leg to rid them of the moisture. Collecting myself, I raise my hand, gently knocking on the hardwood. A moment passed before I felt movement from the other side of the door.

"Who is it?" she calls out, the undertone of small authority entwined in her words.

Ba-dump.

A tingle spreads throughout my body, delicious chills running among the planes of my ribs, emerging a song from my heart, one my mind could mildly understand. I swallow, swiping my tongue along my upper lip.

"Delano," I respond, equally matching her tone.

The short silence stretches, quiet steps luring her toward the door before it opens, the structure swinging inward as she comes into view. The small wind that accumulated from the door being opened caused flyways from her hair to sway in its breeze, my eyes slant down to her appearance, the strings of her dress still tied around her neck; the earthy color of it blending together beautifully, her natural glow brightening the richness of the color. I catch her gaze, enticed by the honey brown hue they contained.

"Hi," she speaks, soft and airy as she looks up at me, almost equally as mesmerized I was by her form.

Kaitlyn then blinks a few times to herself, the rise of her chest indicating a deep inhale as she releases it quietly, stepping to the side all while holding the door wider for me to pass through.

"You can come in."

I stare at the side of her face, noticing the moment she took to herself before I step over the threshold and into the room. My steps soften on the plush carpet, as I make my way toward the chair that was positioned near the dresser, the sound of the door closing resonated the same time I reach for the tie that strangles my neck, slipping my finger through the knot and untying the material.

Drawn to the sound of Kaitlyn's footfalls, I turn to find her hunched over the end of the bed, her hands snapping the silver clips of Cassius's onesie, the panda onesie adding to his bubbly energy. My mouth curves into a smile as I observe her hands expertly placing his sibling into a matching set, her hands gliding over their faces, tenderly.

"I'm actually glad you came," she abruptly says, the statement directed toward me.

I flinch in place, the erratic shock of excitement rendering me still at her words.

"I was considering coming to look for you myself."

"Is that so?" I say, coolly settling my voice as tugging at the suit's jacket, letting it slip from my shoulders, swinging it to hang over the back of the single chair. "What was it that you wished to speak about if I hadn't come to you first?"