Chapter XVII

Chapter Seventeen | Chilling
______

K A I T Y L N

The next day I woke up to light streaming in from the flapping curtains, the sun was just setting over the horizon, blanketing the sky in a reddish-orange glow color. Unlike any other day, I felt refreshed and well rested. I stretch, my muscles tightening together before releasing, with a sigh I slump back into the bed and stare up at the ceiling, tracing patterns with my eyes. After a few minutes of staring into space; I couldn't hold off on my bladder any longer.

With rushed movements, I toss the covers back and hop out of bed, making a bee-line for the bathroom. Once finished doing my business I brush my teeth with a newfound toothbrush that was hidden in the mirror's compartment.

While brushing my teeth, I let my eyes trail down to my neck, twisting my head I gaze at the slowly disappearing holes, sifting through my mind. Dipping down, I spit out the toothpaste and pop my head back up to look back in the mirror this time at my appearance.

My hair was looked crisp and dried out, the bags that used to be underneath my eyes have disappeared, my face looked a bit sullen from the slight lack of food I've done to my body. Blinking I rinse my mouth out and wipe away any extra of water while I walk out of the bathroom and head to the bedroom door.

I'm surprised to see that a plate of food wasn't settled beside the room, the actual thought of food made my stomach rumble in protest, I pat it to calm it down. Opening the door, which was surprisingly open, I walk outside the room and look down to the right of the hall before doing the same to the left and then stared down the stairs; listening.

Silence.

No one was in site as I make one final glance down the halls. I move from the bedroom threshold and tiptoe down the rugged hall and head to the staircase, my bare feet slapping against the wood of each step as I make my way down. Once I make it down the last step I stop; a spark of Deja vu flickers through my senses when I glance at the door, I stare for a second longer before I walk to the left and away from the door as I follow my stomach to a kitchen — wherever that is.

My feet carry me under an archway that leads to a spacious living room, everything's bright with the sun rising but it was also quiet. . .too quiet. I glance around the room and take in the white sofas that were angled in a square upon a fur rug, I walk further into the room and immediately catch sight of a fireplace that's settled inches from the entrance of the archway. There were green plants placed down to give the too white area some color, tearing my eyes away, I gaze ahead of me to see another pathway that leads into another room, the floor bleeding into wooden flooring a woodsier theme.

Suspecting it to be the kitchen, I dash forward already craving eggs and bacon. My foot slides along the wooden tiles for a second and I stumble forward my arms waving around a bit before catching myself; unfortunately, the corner of my foot slams against the edge of the wall and pain flares.

"Motherfücker!" I hiss out, hopping to grab my foot and cradle it to soothe the pain. The sudden motion causes my stomach to churn.

Freezing, I place my foot back down and hold my stomach in hopes of keeping the fluids within my body, it luckily works. Exhaling a breath, I limp over to a bar stool that's placed at the island's counter and take a seat, the throbbing in foot can't hide the exhaustion I feel already. Mission to find food; complete fail. I drop my head on the counter surface.

"Little human?" a voice calls out from behind me. I whip around to find Abel standing near the archway, a brief smile gracing his lips.

"Oh, hey. . Abel," I utter, throwing my hand up in a sort of wave.