Chapter XXXIX

Chapter Thirty-Nine | Life and Death
_________

"You're wrong."

I step out from the bathroom's threshold and make my way across the room with my shoulder back and head held high, holding her gaze.

"Whatever shît you're spouting," I grit out, anger weaving its presence into every letter, "It is not going to work and I won't believe it."

Her laugh was cruel and sent chills down my spine, yet it sounded like angel ringing bells above my head; I suppress the urge to shiver and rub at the goosebumps that littered my arms.

"Haven't you seen yourself?" she laughs once more, moving from the chair in my direction. "It looks like you're on the brink of death, barely holding on."

She comes to a stop a couple of feet away from me. "You're nothing to him, nothing but a silly mistake that will soon be solved."

I take a step back, her close proximity resulting my skin to crawl.

"Am I supposed to start crying, now?" her eyebrows twitch at the tone of my question, "Sob in denial that Delano loves me with all his heart and we will get married one day?" I state sarcastically.

She snarls in my face, stepping closer—my arms tightening around my stomach as she glares deeply into my eyes.

"I didn't expect you to, but it'll be a shame if something were to happen to you right now."

A cold smile spreads across her face as her irises begin to glow red, the tips of her fangs beginning to show. My eyes widen in shock more than terror, I don't realize my actions until they're already done. My head snaps forward,  colliding with Victoria's, her noise of pain the only thing that echoes in my ears besides the pounding of my heart.

I step back, the pain in my forehead not completely registering throughout my body as I move closer to the bathroom. I watch her growl, the sound full of pain and surprise as she staggers back holding her nose. Flicking her eyes open, she locks gazes with me and slowly lowers her hand away from her face giving me a view of the damage I've done.

The bridge of her nose was red and bruising but slowly returning back to its pale complexion.

"You're going to regret that," she speaks slowly.

I can't deny the fear the coils deep in my belly, in a blink, she was in front of me looking just like the monster stories claimed her kind to be. Victoria's hand was wrapped around my neck within a millisecond of the time it took for me to register what was happening, the force she used to push me against the wall causes my head to snap back harshly, black dots beginning to fill my vision before her face takes over.

"I'm sick and tired of people stepping in the way of what is to become mine," she hisses in my face, her fingers tightening around the junction of my neck.

I gasp for air, my hands coming up and clawing at hers, doing anything to relieve the pressure on my neck and her fresh air into my legs that start to deflate with the lack of oxygen. A sadistic glint shines in her eyes as she watches me gasp and wiggle for air, that cruel was back and making its appearance— taunting me with the knowledge that I'm not strong enough.

"Pathetic, weak, human— all of you." she laughs, "The throne and Delano are mine, and I won't let you or those little pests stop me from getting what I want."

My mouth opens and closes, her cold hard fingers squeezing tighter, my vision begins to fill with black dots. My eyes watch as she dips her head to the side of my neck, the noise of her inhaling echoing in my mind, my heart beating furiously in my chest and the sound of my blood rushing through my veins, the only sound in my ears.