Chapter LX

Chapter Sixty | Out of Place
__________

"What?"

My features shift into a deep frown, his words already creating a ringing that bounces among the inside of my head.

"A war?" I repeat, my frown only deepening.

A throb starts at the base of my neck and travels up to my temples as confusion swirl through me like a typhoon. It's starting to become common for me to find everything thing out and only end up confused once again: by the apologetic look in his eyes and gazing at my facial expression he could tell what was running through my head.

I shut my eyes briefly. "You know what? This can wait," I say, sidestepping him to walk toward the entrance of the room.

"We've spent long enough in here and I think it's about time we head back with everyone else."

Peering over my shoulder, I watch as his eyes flicker with combining thoughts before he comes to a conclusion. Straightening himself out, he begins to approach me, stopping only a few inches away from my figure to stare me down.

"When this is over, I'll meet you back at your room," he tells me, those blue eyes putting me in a trace. "I promise, I'll explain everything when we get there."

I simply nod, my eyes following his frame as he saunters to the door and pulls it open. Before he makes an attempt to step over the threshold out into the hallway, he peers back my way and gives me a look; I now realize that I'm still standing in the same spot and quickly follow him out. We walk back the way we came, side by side, his presence overlapping mine in a cacoon of electric shocks; the brush of our fingers only igniting them further into bursting flames.

The small moment within the room did no help to the growing feelings in my chest. At this moment, I was unsure of what I actually wanted. I breathe deeply through my nose to gain back the small composure that I seemed to have lost from a small simple touch from him. My skin breaks out into tiny goosebumps from the feel of his gaze on the side of my face.

"Your Majesty?"

I look ahead to see the same servant from earlier at the end of the hall, looking a bit disheveled in the face, he seemed relieved to see us as he rushes our way.

"Your Majesty, we've been looking everywhere for you," he says speedily, his nerves causing his words to tumble out in one full sentence, "the guest have been getting a little anxious for your arrival."

Side-eyeing Delano as he stares down at the servant, making sure that through my eyes he knew that it was his fault that we stayed so long within that room.

"I apologize, it wasn't my intention to be away for so long— I hope they weren't waiting long?"

The servant shakes his head, "No sir, they have not, about thirty minutes max." he turns to the row of female servants that stand in a line near the door to the ballroom, awaiting further instructions.

He motions for one to come forward, a girl with auburn hair steps out of line and quickly comes to his side: he whispers in her ear and then she was gone, returning back to the line where she relays the message to the rest of them. Soon, they were all moving toward the large doors, an even number on each side.