ii

Chapter Two | Late In The Month
________

       "HOW MANY times do I have to tell you this, there is nothing to worry about."

I scowl at her from where I sit, pressing through my eyes what my mouth failed to say as I turn away from her and stare at the flickering images that fly across the television. Daylight streams through the parted curtains off to the left of the living room, rays of sunlight coating the floors with its golden hue. Maddie shifts in the cushion beside me on the sofa, sighing, causing me to cast my eyes in her direction.

"Alright, fine— yes, you lost your virginity to some guy that you don't even know, and probably won't ever meet again in your life," she says in a breath, again trying to get a smile from me from her humor. When I refuse to smile, she frowns.

"You have to talk to me, bebé. .you haven't said much since that day."

It was my turn to heave a breath as I tuck a lock of my hair behind my ear, moving my gaze away from hers. I wait for a moment longer, contemplating the thoughts in my head and how to transfer them into words without the rise of emotions that dare consume me whole. My venture through my mind seemed to have been a minute too long as Maddie leans down until her face was within my sights, the frown on her face only deepening.

"It's been a couple of days. What's on your mind?"

My teeth gnaw on my lower lip, my fingers twisting their anxiousness. My lake of silence stretched over the minutes. Maddie suddenly grabs my jaw, turning me to face her when I turn away, her eyes stern yet gentle and willing me to reveal what's been eating away at me.

I could feel the familiar burning sensation behind my eyes as I continue to stare into hers, the green in the depths of them finally breaking the barrier that I have placed. Before I realize it, a tear slips down the curve of my cheek, and running to the top of my chin, I quickly raise a hand wiping away at it.

"It's just that," I finally say, swallowing the lump in my throat, gritting my teeth at myself, "I was saving myself for the right one, for someone that was going to treat me right. I was naive to keep that mindset, I know." I tell her as more tears fall, I don't bother to wipe them away.

I'm not sure where the rush of emotions comes from, the quickness of them overwhelming me as I rid my face of their remnants, using the sleeve of my shirt to wipe them away. I let my mind wander back to the moment where it all began, though the memories still remain unknown to my conscious all I could remember where the sensations of hands gliding along my body: the deep warmth I felt from them as if my body yearned for it and was aware of who they belonged to.

Raising my head, my gaze focuses past the television, the show that portrayed from the depths of it long forgotten. "The way of how I would lose my virtue as I did never crossed my mind, I was sure that I would be able to hold off all advances from guys. . ."

"But this guy, even when though I can't recall his face, he left some sort of impression on me that I cane shake," my voice trails off.

Snot runs from my nose, making me aware of the fact that I cried over something so small, stricken by the thought of never actually coming to know of the man that has taken something from me. Maddie stays silent, waiting for me to finish as I swipe my wrist under my nose, chuckling humorlessly at myself.

"Now I feel stupid for even crying about it," I tell her, "I'm just so confused."

Soon her arms wrap around my shoulders, pulling me against her side where my head snugs into the crook of her neck. "You're not. I'm so sorry, it's going to be okay," is all she says as she holds me.