Chapter LIX

Chapter Fifty-Nine | Bloodline
__________

Delano stared at me through the mirrors, his body positioned near the door. I could see his eyes twinkling with emotions, though the room was spacious enough to fit a huge crowd, he made it feel as small as a clothing closet. I could feel him breathing down my neck despite the distance between us, cracking my knuckles, I look over my shoulder.

"So, what is this room?" I ask, indicating with my eyes.

He watches me without saying a word, there was that same electric shock in the air that has been there since the beginning, it raises all my senses and awareness of his presence. I turn back to the mirrors before I say anything out of term: taking a deep breath.

"Kyri and I called this our secret room when we were younger, it was formally a dance room," Delano states.

I look around at the mirrors, all positioned on the back wall, lined up perfectly and reflecting my image among them all. I walk closer, my heels clicking behind me as the mirror copies the movement of my dress.

"We used it as a getaway from small duties we had to do and to also watch our parents during their meetings."

I frown, the reflection mimics my facial expression as my gaze zeros in on Delano through the glass.

"Watch?" I probe.

He only smiles as he moves a few paces to the side to a place near the door, the sound of a switch flickering was heard and then the darkness that blanketed us begins to roll away to light as I watch the mirrors give way into the scene before me.

Hundreds of people fill my sight within a room I could only guess was the ballroom in which the party was being held. The chandeliers, its structure made by thousands of diamond-shaped crystals that lit up the ballroom, shone through the glass and illuminated the room we occupy with its brilliant glow. I walked closer until my hand lightly pressed against the surface.

Men and women crowed the ballroom, dressed formally than the ones that were outside. The room was full of color, the people were all cleaned and neatly done up in different sizes and shapes, and with many features among them all. A few of them walk past the mirror without a glance in my direction, I was sort of startled when a young woman popped into my view, her periwinkle colored ball gown contrasting heavily with her skin.

I stood frozen as she looked directly into my eyes, it seemed more than a minute before she started to... fix her hair?

"It's a doubled sided mirror," Delano voices from behind me, "if you're worried about her or anyone else seeing you; they can't."

My muscles become taut with the knowledge of how close his voice became, once again I was caught off guard, heedless to the sound of his footsteps that approached me. The longer I stay within his presence, the more I'm prompt to be caught in a situation I might not be ready for. He had purposely grown near me with the intent of me not hearing him, his steps too light even for my advanced hearing to even sense.

I didn't say anything as I continue to stare ahead, watching the lady fix her appearance before she was gone, the swish of her dress the evidence of her being there.

My eyes zero on a group of people that reside at the front of the room, near the two throne chairs, keeping to themselves as they watch the other guest socialize and sway to the melody of the piano and violist. There was something different about them than the other vampires in the room, their auras present power far greater.