Chapter XLII

For those who didn't know, Maddie is played by Jude Demorest 🔥
_________

Chapter Forty-Two | Our Own Devices
__________

M A D D I E

“Get away from me.”

“I’m not even bothering you,” his voice exhales against my ear, indicating just how close he was.

“Your existence does.”

His chuckle vibrates through me as I grit my teeth at the warmth that spreads through me before I glance over my shoulder at him, our eyes colliding. Adrian grins, flashing his teeth in what he would see as a charming manner.

“You can’t deny the way you feel when I’m around.”

“Don’t make me curse in front of these kids.”

From across the room, Kyri giggles, smiling as she sweeps her hair from in front of her face. I shuffle away from Adrian and move towards the crib, gazing down at the small bundles that slept peacefully beside one another, they were both cleaned enough to where their features could be seen more clearly, each taking after their parents.

The boy was a smaller version of Delano, same hair color, face shape, eye shape and everything that could tell you with one look that Delano was his father, with a few features that belonged to Kaitlyn. The girl was an exact replica of Kaitlyn’s nose, lips, eye shape that's framed with her dad's lashes but she had the aura as Delano, she hasn’t whined or cried ever since she was birthed, it was like her emotions were shut off.

I reach inside the crib and grab onto her small hand with my thumb and forefinger, rubbing the top of her hand as she slept peacefully, my thoughts wandering to Kaitlyn; the worry that I forced down, making a rise again.

“She will be fine,” Kyri speaks, already looking at me when I turn my attention to her in question. “There’a nothing to worry about, she is with Delano.” she gives me a smile to reassure me.

I stare for a second longer before turning away and back to the twins, the boy shifting in his sleeping to where he was Adrian steps closer from behind me, the heat reverting from his body snaps me from my thoughts as one of his hands comes around and grasps my hip.

“Why are you in my personal space and why are you touching me?”

The palm of his hand burned through the material of my shirt as I turned around to face him, it wasn’t the uncomfortable feeling like fire was raging along the surface of my skin, it felt. . . nice, soothing, and made the mark on my neck tinge, all thoughts vanishing. That’s what I’m afraid of.

“You know what else I’ll like to be in,” the smirk on his face was further clarification of his meaning.

Though my face portrayed a disgusted look, my mind and body spoke a completely different thing.

“Do you want to get hit by a car again?”

The smile on his face fell into nothing, the expression relaxing into a blank slate, his hand squeezing my hip while those eyes shifted into a raging fire that looked as if it wanted to consume me whole.

Just recalling the image of him flying over the hood of the car almost made me laugh in his face, I keep my face neutral besides the tightening of my lips and don’t have the time to react before I’m lifted off the ground and thrown over his shoulder with a shriek of surprise.

“What the hell?! Put me down!” I exclaim as he makes his way to the door.

He bursts out of the room, the door shutting behind him and blocking me from getting any help that I needed. Turning away from the door — my head nearly hitting the frame— he walks down the lingering hallway in silence, each step bouncing me on his shoulder.