Chapter XXXVIII

Chapter Thirty-Eight | You decide
__________

D E L A N O

“Son, we have come to a conclusion.”

I blink away from my thoughts, turning my attention towards my parents, they sat across from me in their thrones, observing me— more from my father.

“And that is?” I question, my forefinger running over my bottom lip.

Father releases a deep breath, “To hand you back the throne. After a long discussion with your mother about your. . .” the muscles in his face twitch at his pause before he continues. “absence, it’s common sense that we hand it over to you— with the help of your sister, of course.”

My eyes cut over towards Kyri, standing behind the two thrones and against a pillar that supports her weight as she leans upon it. Her red hair frames her pale face, the gene coming from previous generations and skipping some before landing on her. Looking at nothing particular, she smiles, eyes slowly coming to meet mine.

(A/N: she not being creepy, something is happening that's going to be explained soon 😂💀)

I cast my eyes away from her, feeling the sudden ‘but’ that fingers in the air the slight silence father encased.

“But,” he adds, “This will all happen if you take a queen, preferably, Victoria.”

Now they have my attention.

“Pardon me!?” I hurtle to my feet, tense.

Mother scowls, her features crunching up in displeasure. “We think it’s best that you have someone by your side while you take over the kingdom, just like your father.”

She reaches over, closing the distance between her hand and father’s and clasping her fingers with his, despite his hard expression; he gently squeezes her hand.

“I refuse to marry, especially to someone like her!” I argue.

“Why not? You both have a history together, you can simply make up.”

“No!”

“Son,” Father growls, his eyes flashing red, fangs making an appearance. He was trying to keep it together. “This is the only opportunity you have, we know that human is keeping you back and clouding your mind but once she’s gone—.”

“What do you mean once she’s gone?!”

My voice bounces off the walls of the spacious ballroom, the tingling sensation in my eyes indicating the shifting colors of my eyes.

Father’s chest rumbles with a growl, his own eyes flashing, “What did you expect!? I’m surprised myself that I let that human stay this long in my castle with her absurd smell.”

“I like her smell,” Kyri mumbles, “It’s. . . sweet, just like she is.”

“Silence, Kyri!”

At the command, her bottom lip pokes out as she crosses her arms and turns to look back out the window. Father turns his attention back towards me, eyes tinged with red that mingled with the green in his eyes.

“I don’t plan on having her in my presence for much longer being what she is. Once she gives birth to the heirs of this kingdom, we have no more use for her, and she’ll be out of your hair.”