『34』The Female Titan

Sunday, June 30, 850 at 11:41

----------------------------------------------------------

"Arghhhhhhhh!"

The grin that had been decorating your face crumbled and fell apart as a loud screeching broke across the air, causing you to almost forget about shooting your wires as you soon after started to quicken your pace, 'What in the world is going on? Was that the She-Titan?' You couldn't help but fear the worst as you seemed to slowly inch closer and closer to your destination, eyes widening the smallest bit as you heard what sounded like a stampede of titans, 'Oh fuck, what's happening now?!'

In your many years of testing on titans with Hanji, you had grown accustomed to the many sounds the monsters would make, and consequently many of their habits; excited giggles when they thought they were close to capturing prey, laboured breathing after extraneous activities despite the lack of a need for air -you supposed that maybe it was instinctual, although you weren't completely sure on that- even small yawns that would fall upon your ears once sunlight was taken away from them. But even though you were just about as used to the titans and their weird doings as you could be, when you stumbled on the scene at hand you couldn't do anything much more than gape at the sight and let out a horrified whisper, "ᵂʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ᵃᶜᵗᵘᵃˡ ᶠᵘᶜᵏ..."

Below your position hanging off a towering tree, you saw the many wires that served as a part of the STRAWs embedded deep within the She-Titan's flesh, the tall, skinless body shielding its nape with its hands and remaining still as it was surrounded by a motley horde of smaller beasts -said titans eating the giantess in the middle of it all, tearing away ligaments and muscle fibres from the body in a bloody show, 'Cannibalism?! Chica and Albert never showed signs of doing that! Unless it's a feature of a shifter, but how would this help her in this case?!'

"All soldiers, advance!" the shout that ripped out of Erwin's vocals fell onto your ears, and even though you had just arrived you understood the crystal clear command in its entirety as you flew yourself forwards with a push of your legs against the tree's bark, "Defend the Female Titan at all costs!"

'So that's what they're calling her?' you thought to yourself as you neared some of the outer titans, 'It doesn't matter, it still references the same killer.' Almost blanking out in a sense as you angled your blades and passed by a few other soldiers, you were easily able to slash through the nape of a five-metre titan, 'In fact, it looks like all of these will be rather easy to kill,' you thought to yourself as you flicked your blades to rid it of some of the blood it held -wishing you could do the same to your shirt and pants that got splattered in the same hot liquid that plastered the fabric to your body uncomfortably- and using the titan's already decaying body to propel yourself to your next target, a four-metre brunette, 'All of them are so busy trying to eat her that they're not paying any attention to us.' A quick glance around told you that it was the same for a few others slicing away at the titans, you going to do the same to a nine-metre one that was more towards the centre once you easily finished the shorter one, 'And while it means that the likelihood of casualties is low, it also means that our mission won't be complete until the titans reduce her to bones or they themselves are killed.'

As you sunk your hooks into the left and right shoulders of the nine-metre titan, you narrowed your eyes in an expression of determination, 'If that's what it is, then so be it.' Twisting your body to properly cut at the neck of the tall titan, you pressed the triggers on your handles to rapidly bring yourself closer to the enemy when a cry unexpectedly called out, "All soldiers, retreat!"

Once again, the voice belonged to Erwin -the commander of the Survey Corps deciding that a fallback was the best course of action despite everyone's compliance to defend the Female Titan. Bringing your metallic blades through the skin, you managed to kill the titan before listening to his command, once again using the steaming figure to gain momentum in your newfound destination -up in the trees. It was only once your two feet landed on the branch of a tree that you allowed yourself to release a breath you didn't realize that you were holding, keeping your blades in your hands until you saw a giant plume of smoke go up in the air from them -an indication that the titan blood had evaporated. The Female Titan made no noise while she was slowly torn apart, leaving an uncomfortable stillness in the air that you could only deem uncanny as you watched the scene unfold and carefully put your blades away.