"There were Fireworks in the Air..."

Drago longed to visit the mysterious white one whom captivated his heart. He really did. Yet time seemed to get the better of him.
His duties as leader kept him at home, arranging meeting, reviewing reports, surveying new areas and boundaries. It seemed that no matter how quickly he finished his work, there was always more to be done.
Drago sighed, taking a break when he realized he was reading the same report for the fifth time. He dragged his claws down his face, wondering how one powerless, beautiful white one managed to invade his every thought. His eyes yearned for a glimpse at her beautiful scales once more, of her ebony black eyes, so dark Drago felt they can swallow him whole.
Drago groaned, leaning back in his chair. He was delusional, assuming she still remembered him. She probably moved on, traveling through another dimension, one far away from him....
The very thought caused his heart to stop. He desperately wanted to see her once more, but of course at that very moment the universe decided to conspire against him.
Apollo entered his work station. "I have a massage from the other leaders", he proclaimed.
Drago stared at him, wondering why he felt the need to announce the reception of a new massage every time. He was the messenger, after all. There was no other reason for him to be here.
"The summer season is at our doorstep, and with it the annual ball. We're currently searching for a pleasant and dignified place to host this special occasion. Any ideas will be welcome". Apollo finished reading, looking back at Drago. "What do you think, Sire?"
I'm thinking that I want no part of this ridiculous ball, he thought. Instead, he proceeded to sigh. "Tell them we can host the ball at my current residence. The main hall is vast and can withhold a respectful amount of bakugan. Invitations must be sent out, food must be prepared, and a theme is to be established. Therefore, I expect an answer from them as soon as possible concerning the guest list, food and theme preference". Drago spoke with much authority, as if he was discussing matters of state and not a mere ball.
Apollo nodded, writing all this down, and secretly adding himself a reminder to invite a certain one white.
Apollo was no fool. He knew Drago long enough to recognize the signs of an aching heart longing for it's significant other. It was all there- the unfocused gaze, clenching and unclenching of the claws, as if grasping onto a hand that wasn't there. The goofy grin that spread across his face when he thought no one was looking.
Apollo shook his head. He searched decades for an adequate companion for Drago. He will not let this opportunity slip between his fingers .

Time flew by like a summer's breeze. Drago found himself overwhelmed with preparations for a ball he wanted no part of. Invitations were sent out, decorations were hung in his mane chamber, such as multi colored chandeliers and eye scorching tapestries. Bakugans and messengers came and went, delivering more food, décor and such. Drago had no spare moment to even think of Wyvern, let alone visit her. Days turned into weeks and the day of this annual event finally came.
"Is this really necessary?" He asked Apollo, who was fitting a golden armor on him.
"The others insisted you look presentable. Unfortunately, they haven't mentioned breathing was a necessity". He tightened the armor around his torso, causing Drago to groan.
"How do they expect me to dance in this?" He wondered aloud.
Apollo proceed to clasp golden gauntlets on his wrists. "Forget dancing. You're lucky if you'll be able to move at all". He moved on to his thighs, attaching the golden coated steel to his smooth scales. "One night, Drago. Just one night".
Drago growled lowly. He had no desire to participate in this annul event, entertaining nobles and talking nonsense. It was a waste of his time, not to mention very tiring.
"Besides", Apollo started, adding final touches to his armor. "I hear many female dragonoids will partake in the dance tonight".
Drago groaned in response. whether it was from Apollo's grave news or his discomfort from the armor, it was unclear.
Satisfied with his work, Apollo pulled out a golden mask with green highlights.
Drago stared at him, dumfounded. "What's this for?"
"The theme tonight is masquerade, or have you already forgotten?" He gently applied the mask to Drago's upper face. "I wish I can say no one will recognize you, but I've been told lying is bad".
Drago rose to his feet, regarding himself in the mirror.
"I look..."
"Handsome? Ravishing? An exquisite sight to behold?"
"Hideous".
"Oh..."
Drago sighed. "I apologize, Apollo. You've done a splendid job. I'm just...my heart's not in this".
"Perhaps your heart is out taking a walk with a certain white one?"
"What? NO...maybe?"
Apollo laughed. "Drago, please do remember we've known each other for decades now. Fortunately for you, I prepared a little surprise". With that, he left the room, a knowing smile adorning his face.
Drago gazed after him in silence, wondering what the crazy bakugan was up to this time. He shook his head, proceeding to gaze at himself in the mirror once more. A majestic dragon stared back at him, with scarlet scales, golden horns and vibrant green eyes. He imagined a white dragonoid standing beside him, her pale scales such a contrast to his own scarlet ones, yet at the same time managed to complete him. Her clawed elegant hand, fitting flawlessly into his own, like two pieces in a puzzle.
Drago breathed deeply. This was getting ridiculous. He was leader of the Pyrus world. He had no time for dwelling on the past.
Sounds of meaningless chatter and laughter echoed off the cavern walls as Drago hurried to the main hall. It was his duty as host to be present and welcome his guests. He scurried past his jeweled portraits, all glowing brightly since he renewed their fire earlier today. Why the other leaders insisted on hanging those dreadful tapestries when his jeweled portraits were so much more magnificent, Drago did not know.
He entered the main hall, brightly lit by the glass chandeliers above. Soft music played in the background as bakugan in all shapes and sizes entered his home, all wearing colorful masks. Drago felt like his home was being invaded. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Apollo in a midnight black mask next to the bar, holding a glass containing a maroon substance of sort.
He continued on his way, passing a group of females who were whispering to one another in hushed tones. Another bakugan attempted to walk past him, heading toward her group of friends. She slipped in the last moment. Drago, who was right next to her, caught her easily.
"Easy there", he murmured, helping her up. She stammered a thank you, blushing furiously as she headed toward her group of friends, who were giggling hysterically at her antics.
He made his way to the table reserved for the other leaders, nodding in acknowledgement.
"Oh, Drago. Such a lovely home you have!"
"What a celebration!"
"Such fine tapestries!"
The last comment Drago had to fight the urge to scorch the speaker to cinders.
When it seemed like most guests were present, Apollo walked up on a small platform, signaling the violinist to stop playing for a moment.
"I'd like to welcome the host of this marvelous event to say a few words. Drago, the stage is yours".
The crowd applauded, parting like the Red Sea for Drago to come through. He stepped onto the platform, praying silently it won't fall under the weight of his armor.
Drago turned to the crowd. "Hello everyone, and welcome to the summer season annual ball!"
The crowd cheered.
"We are gathered here to celebrate-" His voice stopped abruptly as a sweet, familiar scent hit his nose. His eyes widened in shock, and he quickly scanned the room, desperate to catch a glimpse of her dark eyes.
There, at the rear of the crowd. She barley wore any jewelry of sort- only an elegant tiara composed of ebony jewels rested on her forehead, complementing the silvery mask that adorned her face. Drago could recognize those eyes anywhere. They stormed his dreams, appearing every time he closed his eyes.
She was pale, so very pale. But to Drago, all bakugan in the room paled in comparison to her beauty. She was here. In the same room. With him. The rest of the world faded as her black eyes met his own. Drago can barely breath. Her eyes, they saw into his very soul. They caused his heart to beat faster, his knees to shudder and his head to spin.
Oh, curse love and it's toll on innocent souls!
(I felt very Shakespearean today)
A sharp pain in his side pulled him back to the present. Apparently Apollo elbowed him in the ribs. Only then did Drago realize everyone was staring at him expectantly.
"Excuse me, I apologize...I haven't slept properly in weeks".
The others chuckled, thinking his lack of sleep was due to preparations for this ridiculous event.
what a bunch of idiots.
( It comes and goes, the shakespeare in me)
"I hope you all enjoy tonight, and when you leave, feel free to grab any of these hanging tapestries.
Consider this a gift of gratitude from me to you".
The crowd applauded once more.
"Such generosity!"
"What a kind bakugan!"
" Chivalry at it's finest!"
Drago caught Apollo's expression. The bakugan was trying very hard to cover his laughter with no avail.
Drago spread his wings majestically. "Let the feast begin!".
He quickly descended off the stage, trying to maintain eye contact with Wyvern, but the crowd seemed to swallow her up, and she disappeared from view.
He growled in frustration, pushing through the crowd in a quest to find her. But nobles kept getting in his way, feeling the urge to express their gratitude right then and there. He tried to excuse himself as politely as possible, but then they'd insist on introducing their daughters, all fluttering their lashes at an abnormal speed.
One of the overly confident maidens extended her hand to him, asking if he yearned for a quick dance.
Thankfully, Apollo saved the day. The bakugan appeared out of the blue, yanking her hand and pulling her to the dance floor before she can intercept what just occurred. He winked at Drago, mouthing 'GO' before disappearing in the crowd.
Drago didn't wait. He scurried away quickly, moving fast enough so no one would consider stopping him.
Where did she go? A horrible thought entered him mind. Did she see him with the other girls and decided he wasn't worth it?
He suddenly spotted a flash of snow white scales. There. She was right there. By the bar, swirling a glass of red liquid, seemingly deep in thought.
He advanced toward her, shouldering his way through the mass, his eyes trained on her face. She didn't see him yet. Her gaze was focused on her drink, which she stared at in disinterest, and perhaps... disappointment?
Her brows furrowed, catching his scent. Her head immediately turned toward him, watching him as he came closer.
He didn't break eye contact. He wouldn't dare.
Finally, he reached her, straightening in front of her. There was a long silence as they just gazed into each other's eyes, the sounds of music and chatter around them becoming distant echoes.
"You came", he blurted, mentally smacking himself.
She tilted her head, a small smile appearing on her face. "Well, I realized it was time to take matters into my own claws".
Drago smiled apologetically. "I'm...really glad you came, Wyvern".
Her smile grew. "me too, Drago".
Drago opened his mouth to say something, anything, but his voice died in his throat, and he just stood there with his mouth open like a gawking fish.
Wyvern laughed. A nice, heartfelt laugh. It rattled Drago's bones.
What is wrong with me? He thought.
"So...you want to- "
"Yes".
Wyvern frowned. "You don't even know what I was going to say".
"I don't care. As long as I'm with you, I'm happy".
Behind the mask, her eyes widened in surprise. She grinned at him, beaming.
"I was going to ask if you want to dance".
Drago felt like he was floating. "I'd love too. Except..."He looked down at his armor. "I'm not sure I can move much in this".
Wyvern chuckled. "Then we'll take it slow". She gently grabbed his claw in hers, unaware of the hurricane of emotions the very notion caused him.
He let himself be pulled to the dance floor. As if on cue, the musicians started playing a soft and slow tune. He stopped breathing when Wyvern turned to face him, her muzzle inches from his own. She gently twined her tail with his, touching her wing to his as they circled around each other to the rhythm of the music. The silvery feathers on her mask rustled as she moved.
Drago was mesmerized by her graceful movements as they twirled around each other. He marveled at the feeling of her soft fabricated wings touching his own sharp, bat like ones. Her tail twined perfectly around his own.
So deep he was in his reverie, he failed to notice the group of damsels gathered by the outskirts of the dance floor, whispering in hushed tones.
"Who is she? "
"Why is he always with her?"
"Daddy promised he'll dance with me!"
Their displeasure of the scene was evident, and one of the foolishly brave maidens decided it was time to break the two apart. After all, once Drago fell under her charms, surely he'll be hers!
Thank Vestroia, Apollo came to the rescue.
He materialized in front of the group, armed with a sword and shield, as if preparing for an upcoming war.
And war it was indeed. A battle for love and freedom of choice. Drago may not know it yet, but he knew. Wyvern was the one, and he would not allow some selfish, naive witch prevent the buds of love from blooming!
He knocked the sword against the shield, drawing their attention.
"YOUR CHARMS ARE POWERLESS BETWEEN THESE WALLS" he declared loudly.
"BEGONE, emissarys of the cursed dark one. Retreat back to Salem!"
He added hastily, for they were giving him witch vibes.
They all took a step back, staring at him in shock.
Without another word, he lowered the sword and shield behind his back, curtseying gracefully.
"Have a nice evening, ladies" he said, before walking off.
The maidens were so taken aback, they didn't dare inhibit Drago and Wyvern's dance, for fear of Apollo returning with his sword and shield. ( It is still unclear where this bakugan managed to get his hands on such weaponry, and in the middle of an annual ball no less.
"Drago...Why is Apollo walking around with a club?"
Drago snapped out of his daydream, turning his head to see Apollo holding said weaponry, yelling at a group of frightened young maidens.
"I'm...not sure", he admitted. He grabbed her wrist, puling her toward the exit. "We should get out of here before he decides to light the fireworks".
"There's fireworks on the activity list?"
"Currently no, but knowing him, he'll probably yank them out of somewhere".
They made their way through the swarm of bakugan. Drago was finally with the woman of his dreams as for the past month. Could you blame him for seeking some time alone?
She followed him to a the towering cliff above the entrance to his home. The stars shone brightly above. He liked watching the look of wonder that crossed her face as she gazed at the heavens above. He was filled with a sudden desire to uncover her face. Wyvern noticed his intense gaze, and lowered her head, studying him. Drago took a tentative step forward. He was right in front of her now. If he leaned any closer, their muzzles would be touching. Wyvern tilted her head upward ,curious.
He slowly stretched his arms forward, gently resting his clawed hands on either side of her face.
Wyvern inhaled deeply, but did not waver under his touch. Encouraged by her lack of distain, Drago gently lifted the mask from her face, lowering his hands to his torso.
Her expression was solemn, yet her eyes were glowing. Slowly, she reached out a clawed hand and gently stroked his cheek with her thumb. Drago was sure she can hear the rapid beating of his heart. She removed his mask, exposing the hard scales underneath. She kept her eyes trained on his as she lowered her hand to her side.
"That was...intense", she admitted.
Drago let out a hearty laugh. He felt comfortable around her. It was a nice feeling.
"So...is this the part where you say I'm the most beautiful bakugan you've ever seen, sweep me of my feet and kiss me to the light of a thousand stars?"
Drago stared at her, taken aback by her straight forwardness. Finally, he smiled.
"You've really thought this through, huh?"
Wyvern's eyes widened, and she blushed. "Nooo...maybe?"
Drago chuckled. Wyvern let out a yelp of surprise as he swept her off her feet, holding her closely.
He leaned forward, his half lidded eyes staring down at her. He was close, so very close.
Wyvern closed her eyes, expecting to feel the sweet sensation of his lips touching hers.
A loud explosion interrupted their moment. Drago jumped, placing her back on her feet and flying to the edge of the cliff to see what was going on.
Behind him, Wyvern raised her head to the heavens, growling in annoyance that their perfect moment was interrupted.
Drago quickly staggered back as red spark flew past him, barely missing his horn. It flew up into the air and exploded into a multi colored delight.
Drago groaned, face palming. "I knew he prepared fireworks. I'm gonna kill him".
Wyvern tilted her head, coming to stand next to him. "I'm afraid I don't understand. What's the matter with fireworks?"
A scream was heard. Wyvern looked down just in time to witness a young maiden barreling out of the cave entrance, screaming. A moment later a blue spark flew out, chasing after her.
"Oh".
"These are no ordinary fireworks. They were crafted by Pyrus blacksmiths, which means - "
"They're attracted to warmth", Wyvern finished, watching the chaos erupting beneath them.
Bakugans bolted out of his cave, trying to find refuge from the flying fireworks.
Drago shook his head. All those preparations, head aches, guest lists, food- it was all for nothing.
He turned to look at Wyvern, who was smiling warmly at him.
No- it wasn't for nothing, he thought as he took her claw in his, squeezing gently. He wasn't sure what they had between them, but it was definitely something.
And that something, whatever it was, meant everything to him.
He sighed. "I should probably go...take care of that", he gestured at the screaming bakugans.
"You could", she observed. "Or you can stay up here with me for a few more moments and watch the fireworks".
Drago smiled, twinning her tail with hers as they both watched the sky light up with all colors of the rainbow.