chapter 37

Chapter 37 “Weighed, Measured and Judged”

They reached the fifth floor without a problem. Seth should have realized that something was off when they burst through the doors into the long corridor and found it abandoned, yet he was so set on almost having reached his target that he did not consider it. And so, he and the others hurried down the corridor without further thought.

They had gone half way down it when suddenly the doors to either side burst open and Watchers and Night Riders poured out to fill the corridor. The group skidded to a halt and whirled around only to find that it was the same case behind them. They were trapped.

“Well, we almost made it,” Gina spoke up.

“We don’t have time for this,” Seth growled as he unsheathed both his swords once more.

Dominique pulled forth his tube and Anita’s hands moved to the blades on her back and Gina unsheathed her sword. When there was a cracking sound beside her she looked to see that Drake cracked the knuckles on both his hands with a grin before he pulled forth his own sword. Gina rolled her eyes before turning her attention back to the threat at hand. There were a few habits she would have Drake break before she married him.

“So,” Dominique asked the Watchers and Night Riders casually as the group positioned themselves so that Gina, Anita and Drake were facing one side while Dominique and Seth faced the other.

“Who’s first?” Dominique’s words seemed to break the spell and they charged.

Anita’s knives brought a few men down before they reached them but then, the groups clashed.

Seth dodged and dealt blows so fast the Watchers and Night Riders couldn’t keep up in the narrow corridor. Anita, who had run out of throwing knives, pulled the two blades, which had been strapped to her thighs, forth and began to resume her attack with them, twirling as she lashed out and dodged gracefully. Gina and Drake worked skillfully as a team while Dominique took care of any attackers in his own way.

Seth dodged a blow when Dominique suddenly grabbed his arm. “Go!” he told him.

“What?” Seth asked.

“Find Akira, we’ll hold them off,” Drake said as he came to stand beside Dominique.

Seth stared at him.

“Go on Seth,” Gina spoke as she pushed Seth towards the end of the corridor and took her place between Dominique and Drake, behind her Anita got rid of a Watcher. “Stop Steeson and get Akira back.”

“Seriously?” Seth asked.

“Go before I do!” Dominique told him.

That seemed to do the trick and Seth shot them a grateful look before he turned. Cutting down a Night Rider in his way he charged the next, barging into him with his shoulder and sending him flying.

Drake turned and helped Anita out.

“Aw would you look at that,” Gin suddenly grinned as she shot Drake a look as though to make sure he didn’t hear her as she spoke to Dominique. “You get to fight beside you great, great…well really old grandma!”

Dominique shot her a look before he shook his head. “Do you have any idea how weird that sounds?” he asked.

“Our family is weird,” Gina told Dominique with a grin as she casually dodged a blow from a blow.

“Really?” Dominique asked sarcastically.

“Of course honey, somewhere along the lines we have you, don’t we?” Gina told him with a cheeky grin before she dodged another blow and lashed out at a Night Rider.