chapter 38

Chapter 38 “End Game”

Brandon leaned back in his chair and shook his head. Akira and Seth sat from across him and Redemption was present through Akira’s mind, listening and partaking in the previous conversation during which they had filled Brandon in on all that had happened.

They had arrived back in the past a only a little while back and now Brandon had Akira and Seth sitting with him, telling him everything they remembered of the past events.

“So Steeson is dead but Deception is still somewhere out there?” Brandon asked.

Akira and Seth nodded.

“I still can’t quite understand how you broke free from Steeson’s control all by yourself when you tell me he told you that he had found a way to make it permanent,” Brandon continued, his eyes boring into Akira as though he were searching for something more.

Akira shrugged. “Honestly, everything is such a blur. I can just about remember what happened before he controlled me, then there’s a big blank and then the next thing I remember is Redemption. I don’t even remember killing Steeson and all that.”

While she was telling the truth to Brandon she was leaving out one small detail. The one thing Redemption had told her once they arrived back at the Academy in her time, a detail that Akira had pushed aside.

For Redemption had told her that there was a point where Akira was not being controlled and where she was not herself either, and that it was in that moment that she killed Steeson. It was what Redemption had told Akira about her seeming to be like Haiden for a moment that had scared her.

In the end both she and her dragon had decided that they should just forget it. They didn’t want to worry the others and it was all in the past now anyway.

“So, did you take care of everything in the future?” Brandon asked.

“I talked to the people of the city. I just told them I wanted to remind them that Argos was in charge of the Academy and that I had come to check up on his progress. They seemed pretty happy with that. As for the Night Riders and Watchers, they listened to Argos when he told them to stand down. Half of them had no idea what was going on anyway. Argos was still somewhat at loss himself when we left,” Akira shrugged.

“Yes, I’m sure he was,” Brandon murmured.

“Other than that, everything is back to normal in the future,” Akira shrugged.

“Except that they have a black dragon and a very bad man running around somewhere,” Brandon sighed.

“We’ll find them,” Akira and Seth said at the same time.

“Look,” Brandon shook his head. “I think it for the best that we let those in the future deal with their own…”

“We’re going to help them track down Deception,” Akira told Brandon in a voice that told him there was no arguing. “We started this and we’re going to finish it.”

“You tell him kiddo,” Redemption’s voice added.

A smile tugged at Brandon’s lips at the comment. “I guess you wouldn’t listen if I told you otherwise.” He let out a defeated sigh, “fine then. We shall help those in the future out one more time.”

Akira smiled.

“But,” Brandon held up a finger, “once Deception has been dealt with everyone will go back to their own time where they belong and all ties between our times will be cut once and for all, do you understand?” he asked.