chapter 23

Chapter 23 “Golden Dracos”

Already being later on in the day, the sun was low when Dominique met up with the group a little way away from the Academy. The group flew together, not bothering to travel forwards in time just yet. Dominique led the way with Seth some way behind while Redemption and Anita's and Gina's dragons flew next to Akira, one on either side.

Akira watched the two boys before her, smiling as she realized that the tension between the, seemed to have calmed down a bit. She didn't know what had happened while she was away talking to the council but they seemed to have made their peace, for now at least.

They flew, deciding to only travel forward in time when they reached the mountain range that used to be the boundary between Haiden's lands and the rest. Once in the future, they continued on their way.

The sun slipped away and the moon rose, yet still the group kept going, not bothering to take a break and Akira dozed off.

“Akira, we're here,” Redemption's voice woke her up.

Covering a yawn Akira opened her eyes to see a few dark shadows ahead of her and realized that they were mountains. She glanced up at the sky only to see that the moon had already passed the peak of the sky, and yet it had not yet fully begun to make its decent yet. Morning was still some way away.

Turning her attention back to what lay ahead she watched as the dark shapes of the mountains grew closer. The dragons flew on, ignoring the mountains as they easily flew over them, yet once over, Breeze, suddenly began to descend and so the other dragons followed.

As Akira caught sight of the valley below her a smile spread across her face. While in the dark all she could make out was a stream going right through the valley in to a lack, the moonlight reflecting off it, she knew that in the day time, she would see just how lush and beautiful this valley really was. For she had been here before, this had been the Resistance's third hideout. Redemption had been right, they were here.

Breeze settled on the ground near the lake and Dominique turned in his saddle, watching as the others landed behind him. Anita and Gina looked around in awe while Seth just looked intrigued.

Smiling Akira slipped from Redemption's back. She was suddenly wide awake, all sleep having left her.

“So...” she looked around as the others followed her lead and got off their dragons, “Where exactly are these Dracos of yours?”

All eyes turned to Dominique who just grinned before he walked over the edge of the lake. Even before he reached it he began to suddenly pull off his shirt.

“What in the Lands are you doing?” Gina asked looking mortified.

Dominique turned towards her, his shirt half off, a grin on his face. “I’m going swimming,” he told her innocently.

“What?” Gina asked while Anita shot Akira a confused look.

“You want money, don’t you?” Dominique asked, an eyebrow raised.

Gina nodded dumbly.

“Then you’ve got to swim,” Dominique told her as though it was the most logical thing. Pulling off his shirt completely he tossed it aside and then with one smooth motion turned and dived into the lake.

“Alright,” Gina turned to the rest of the group. “I declare a coup, the boy has officially lost it!” yet as she spoke something hit her on the back of the head. Whirling around she turned to find a grinning Dominique treading water.

She was about to yell at him when he pointed at her feet. Slowly Gina looked down, her mouth dropping as she saw a smooth, small round object that had hit her head moments before. She knelt down and picked it up, staring at it as she stood up again.