chapter 25

Chapter 25 “Anibal”

Akira followed Savannah's gaze to catch sight of a tall young man, with wispy brown hair, standing by a stall and laughing along with a merchant who was selling jewelry. There was nothing especially attractive about young man, nothing that would make him stand out of the crowd or make girls turn their heads. Yet as Akira watched she saw as the young man skillfully avert the merchant’s attention, slinging one arm about him and saying something. While the merchant laughed the young man reached his free hand to the stall and Akira watched in disbelief as he slipped a golden necklace into his pocket without the merchant realizing.

“Are you sure that’s him?” Akira asked.

“Oh that’s him alright,” Savannah nodded vigorously.

“Okay then,” Akira nodded as she began to make her way over to him.

“Wait!” Savannah grabbed her arm to stop her, “What are you doing!”

Akira gave Savannah a quizzical look, “To go talk to Anibal of course.”

Savannah shook her head, “Anibal doesn't just talk.”

“Hence we got the golden Dracos,” Akira replied as she gently took Savannah's hand off her arm.

“Akira, he'll first run,” Savannah warned.

Akira turned to see that there was fear in her friend's eyes and realized that Savannah was genuinely afraid of what could happen.

“How about,” Akira suggested, “I go get him, and you go find the boys and let them know we found our guy?” She hid a smile as she saw the look of relief that crossed Savannah's face.

“You sure?” Savannah hesitated.

“Don't worry, I can handle him until the others come,” Akira smiled encouragingly.

“Okay,” Savannah nodded. She hesitated a moment longer before she turned and hurried off.

Akira watched her disappear into the crowd before she turned back to where Anibal had stood moments before. To her surprise, he was no longer there.

“Great,” Akira muttered as her eyes flew around, trying to catch sight of Anibal's figure. Moments later she spotted him, casually making his way between market stalls, walking as though he didn't have a care in the world.

“Got you,” Akira murmured as she at once began to hurry on after him.

She decided to tail him until they came to an area that was less crowded where she would confront him.

Carefully she followed, stopping when he did and pretending to be interested in the items being sold at different stalls while keeping Anibal in sight out of the corner of her eye. When he moved again, she moved.

On the way she noted him pocket more items than she thought would be possible without being discovered, yet each time Anibal skillfully distracted the merchant so that they had no idea what his real intentions were. Once or twice she even saw him bump into well dressed passersby. His hand would dart into their pockets, emptying them in one sweep, during which he would hastily apologize to the clueless merchant.

Shaking her head Akira followed closely, twisting in and out of stalls until soon, they left the Market Square altogether.

Anibal walked down a long road before he suddenly ducked into a smaller side one. Akira raised an eyebrow as she realized that Anibal must have realized he was being followed. She smiled as she decided that this Anibal guy was not stupid, yet to bad for him, neither was she.