chapter 13

Chapter 13 "Plan of Action"

Practice consisted of Akira throwing fireball after fireball at Redemption. Yet after throwing a few, she felt more than bored and her throwing became halfhearted. A restless feeling stirred inside her, a feeling that told her she needed to do something. 

"Don't look so glum," Redemption told her as he swatted one of her fireballs away with his tail. He watched it admiringly as it flew a long distance off the roof before it suddenly began to drop, the rush of air putting it out. Ever since Akira learned to control her fire ability better she and Redemption had come up with a new game which took place on the roof of the academy. The game was simple in that Akira would throw Redemption a fireball and he would hit it with his tail, trying to hit them further out every time. 

Akira threw another and Redemption moved his massive tail, hitting it square on. Yet this time, instead of going up it came straight back at Akira and would have hit her had she not ducked at the last minute. 

Standing up she scowled at her dragon who just blinked innocently. Yet his innocence turned to surprise when Akira did not even bother to scold him. 

"Okay kiddo, spit it out, what's on your mind?" he asked. 

Akira shook her head as she formed a fireball in her hand and watched it for a moment before she let it extinguish. "It's just so frustrating," she sighed as she lifted her eyes to meet Redemption's, letting her dragon see the trouble that was in them. "I just feel so useless you know?" she told him. Redemption didn't reply, she didn't expect him to. "The longer we wait here the longer Steeson has time to go ahead with his plan, whatever that may be. It's just...Ree, we're sitting here in the past and have no idea what Steeson is doing in the future, he could have taken it over by know for all we know!" 

Redemption slowly shook his head. "No," he said firmly. "I doubt that Steeson would have taken over the future." 

Akira stared at him. "Why not Ree?" she asked. 

Redemption let out a sigh. "I don't know. It's just this...feeling. I may not know him all that well but this Steeson guy doesn't seem like Haiden, he's not one to just rush on after power. He seems more like a schemer to me. Besides, from what I remember last time we went to the future, the people there aren't too friendly towards black dragons. I don't think they'd just let a rider with one waltz in and take over. They would more likely destroy them as soon as they found out, which is probably why Steeson has kept Deception hidden," he paused, his eyes worried, "No, something makes me feel as though Steeson waiting for something to happen." 

"What?" Akira asked raising her eyebrows. 

"I don't know," Redemption murmured. 

"Oh there's a shocker," was Akira's reply. Yet she did not brush off her dragon's feelings. Usually if Redemption thought something weird was going on, there was. "Waiting for something, huh?" she murmured. Suddenly she formed a fireball and threw it towards Redemption with new vigor. Expecting it Redemption calmly flicked his tail and hit it full on. 

The fire ball flew up high and moments later dropped to disappear amongst the clouds. 

"That's a winner," Redemption announced proudly. 

"Yeah, sure," Akira replied. 

"One more?" Redemption pleaded as he saw that Akira was ready to give up. 

"Ree," Akira sighed. 

"Please?" her dragon made his eyes large and lowered his head, staring at Akira almost mournfully.