chapter 34

Chapter 34 “Breaking all Rules”

As he peaked through the door Dominique shot a look first to the right and then to the left. Seeing that the coast was clear he quickly slipped out, closing the door soundlessly behind him.

It had been a whole day since Akira had gone, an entire day! Yet still, Brandon insisted that they stay and wait. Dominique couldn’t believe the old man. Didn’t he realize that if Akira hadn’t come back then something had to be wrong?

Pushing his annoyance at the Brandon away Dominique concentrated on the task ahead. He was going after Akira. He had come to the decision last night and now, at the crack of dawn, he was ready to go.

Having told Breeze to meet him on the roof he had hurriedly gotten ready. Equipped with nothing more other than his tube, he was now heading to meet Breeze and get a move on. Akira was in trouble, he was sure of it. She needed his help.

There were no students in the corridor. Though they were usually already up at this time, Brandon had announced that classes would start later on this particular day, why, Dominique was not sure, but it fit into his plan to sneak out perfectly.

Silently he made his way towards the lift. He was just about to round the corner towards it when he heard a sound behind him. Freezing Dominique turned around. Upon seeing nothing but the empty corridor he let out a sigh of relief.

Quickly he continued on his way, yet as he turned the corner he froze. There, beside the lift, Seth was leaning against the wall, both his swords strapped to his back. No sooner did Dominique stop than he slowly looked up.

Dominique’s mind raced. Was Seth here to come with him?

“Where are you going?” Seth asked.

Dominique narrowed his eyes, knowing that Seth knew the answer to the question.

“Akira needs help,” he said cautiously.

“How would you know?” Seth asked calmly.

Dominique stared at him. “Seth, she’s been gone since yesterday…”

 “Exactly,” Seth replied calmly. “We have no idea what happened Dominique, we don’t know what the situation is.”

“All the more reason to go and find out!”

“You mean rush in like Akira did?” Seth asked. “Dominique, if Akira couldn’t handle it, then I doubt we’ll fair much better without a plan. Besides, Brandon ordered that we stay here.”

Dominique stared at Seth in disbelief, wondering if he was hearing correctly.

“You can’t be serious,” he shook his head as he realized Seth was not here to join but to stop him.

“Until Akira gets back you’re our only way to get to the future. I’m sorry, even though you want to go you can’t. Besides, we don’t know what the situation is,” Seth said as he pushed himself off the wall and stood upright.

“Whatever it is, we can’t just leave Akira! Who knows what’s happening to her!” Dominique protested.

Pain filled Seth's eyes. “Dominique, we have a better chance of getting her out if we consider our options here...”

“Do you really love her?” Dominique asked, his teeth clenched.

Seth stared at him, blinking in surprise.

“Just how far are you even willing to go for her?” Dominique continued.

Seth stared at him sullenly. “I'd die for her Dominique,” he said softly, “If I had to, I'd go to the ends of the Lands to get her back.”