chapter 28

Chapter 28 “Jack”

“This is it, the twenty third flour,” Dominique panted as he leaned over, trying to catch his breath from the long climb up the stairs.

“Finally,” Seth muttered from where he stood beside him, looking like he too was not unaffected from the long climb as his breathing was rugged. “So what now?” he asked as he took in the white room that lay before them.

In the middle of it stood a lone table with a seat behind it that was occupied by a petite brown haired woman. Examining her nails, she seemed oblivious to Seth and Dominique’s presence.

Not put off in the least Dominique straightened up and made his way over to her. Seth watched for a moment before he followed.

Upon reaching the desk Dominique cleared his throat.

“Welcome to the twenty third floor of the Grand Tower. My name is Rita, how may I help you?” the woman spoke in a tone that sounded both bored and as though this speech had been repeated countless times, and not once, did the she bother to glance up.

“Well hi Rita,” Dominique smiled a charming smile, yet it was lost as the woman did not look up. “Could you please direct us to where we could find Jack?” Dominique continued while Seth stood behind him and watched.

“Jack?” for the first time the lady looked up, revealing the scowl on her face. “There is no Jack on this floor, not that I know of anyway.”

“What?” Dominique asked.

“Are you deaf?” the lady asked him in an unfriendly tone as she glared at him for seemingly no reason. “There is no Jack here.”

“But…!” Dominique began, yet he never got to continue as Seth suddenly pushed him to the side.

“Hey Rita,” Seth told the lady who averted her glare from Dominique to Seth.

“What?” she snapped.

Dominique raised an eyebrow while Seth seemed unaffected.

“We really don’t mean to waste your time but could you tell us if there is anyone with maybe a name similar to Jack on this floor, you see, it’s really important that we find him,” Seth told her.

The lady’s glare disappeared and her frown turned to a smile. She even seemed suddenly seemed somewhat flustered as she replied, “yes, there is Jacqueline, she is the only one I can think of who’s name even sounds remotely like Jack.”

She?” Dominique asked. His question got him a look of dislike from the lady.

“And where can we find Jacqueline?” Seth asked smoothly.

“Down that hallway, third door to the right,” the woman smiled at Seth as she pointed out the way.

“Thank you Rita,” Seth told her.

“You’re welcome,” the lady replied sweetly.

Seth nodded and turned to start down the hallway which Rita had pointed out. Dominique paused, shooting a confused look at Rita, yet when he saw her glare at him he turned and hurried after Seth.

“Whoa, wait up!” overtaking Seth Dominique came to a stand before him, blocking his path. “Seth, we came here looking for a Jack, not a Jacqueline.”

“They could be the same person,” Seth shrugged.

“Seriously?” Dominique frowned.

“We can find out.”