xxi. magic kid

xxi. MAGIC KID

Fezco was smoking a blunt outside the station when Lulu showed up

Fezco was smoking a blunt outside the station when Lulu showed up. He didn't need to look at her twice to understand something had happened. He had known her for a few years now. And it was probably one of the first times she seemed this shaken up. She wasn't crying, she didn't even have puffy eyes. On the contrary, she seemed particularly distant, lost in her thoughts.

But she softened when she made eye contact with Fezco. She removed her helmet and put it on the handlebar before walking towards him.

"Can't live without me or what?" Fezco said with a smile.

"Shut up," Lulu breathed out, "I just wanted to hang out."

Fezco chuckled and grabbed her by the wrist, pulling her in his embrace. She rapidly put her head in the crook of his neck, relaxing in his arms as she smiled when he kissed her temple.

She pulled away, smiling, "Thanks..."

"Always there for ya," he said simply, "By the way, turn around."

Ashtray walked out and he gave the girl a bright smile as she cocked her head to the side in confusion. Slowly, she turned around, not noticing what was going on at first. But a billboard finally caught her attention. It was just a few feet away from the gas station and big enough for people to see it clearly from afar.

The movie poster was displayed on it.

Now, she had seen the poster on a few billboards during her three days out of town for work. But it was the first time she would see one here. The place where she lived. As if it finally existed everywhere. That it was real.

Lulu's eyes were slightly glossy when she faced the two boys, "That's cool..."

"Dope, ya mean!" Ashtray said, "I'll steal it."

Lulu chuckled, "What? The poster?"

"Yeah! You look so badass on it."

Fezco nodded in approval, "You never said the movie'd look so cool."

"Well, I mean... You might hate it you know?" Lulu said with a laugh, "And... don't steal that poster bro, I have a few at home, I'll give you one," she said to Ashtray.

"You sign it though," Ashtray replied, "It will pay the bills when you famous."

Lulu laughed out loud, slapping him on the arm, "Shut up, dork."

"We getting free tickets to see it, right?" Fezco asked jokingly.

But Lulu nodded as she pulled a soda can out of the fridge, "Yeah, you're both on the list for the first viewing."

"Wait, you serious?" Fezco asked, "I was jokin' you know."

"Yeah, I'm serious," Lulu said as she pulled a cigarette and started smoking as some customers pulled over.