xiii. cruel choice

xiii. CRUEL CHOICE

It had been an eventful morning for the Jenson sisters

It had been an eventful morning for the Jenson sisters. They had been up since dawn to clean the entire house and make it as welcoming as possible for the social worker who would show up that same day.

And, when they were done, it was barely ten in the morning and the two girls felt like they had just gone through an endless day and it was finally time to go to bed.

Lulu put a cigarette between her lips, bringing a lighter near the end of the stick, when Zahia shook her head disapprovingly, "She's here in an hour, if you wanna smoke, you do it outside."

And the younger one pushed her out of the house.

Lulu sat on the porch, trying to control her nerves before they would get the best out of her, when her phone started ringing.

She smiled before picking up, "Hey Enolla!"

"Hi Lulu! How are you?"

The woman had no clue about the social worker —or even the cops, "I'm good! How are you?"

"Lulu, I have amazing news," she chirped joyfully.

"What is it?" Lulu asked, letting out a small chuckle.

"You got the part."

Lulu let her eyes wander all around her, very confused by what she had just heard. She had had a few auditions during the winter break but she didn't expect a news like this right now.

When Enolla didn't get any reaction, she spoke again, "For the Refn movie! He absolutely adored you!"

"Are you serious?"

Enolla was giggling excitedly on the other end of the phone, "Yes! He kept saying you were perfect for the role!"

Lulu looked up at the sky, smiling from ear to ear, "I can't fucking believe it! I've been wanting to work with him since—"

"You were fifteen and saw Drive, yep, I know!" Enolla said, "And it's happening!"

"Oh my god, I could cry right now!"

Enolla laughed, "Look, you can come by later next week to sign the contract and then you'll have to start your work with him. I'll fill out the paperwork for your school—"

"Wait, wait, wait," Lulu interrupted, "When does it start?"

"In a month."

That was when Lulu was brutally brought back to the real world. Because there was absolutely no way their mother would be back home in a month. And, even if she was, she would probably be prosecuted for abandoning her children, which meant Lulu wouldn't be able to take the job. Or she could be selfish and still go for it.

But, she would never have to think before choosing between a job and the only family she had left.

"Lulu?"