xxii. escaping time

xxii. ESCAPING TIME

Lulu was smoking a cigarette in front of the movie theater

Lulu was smoking a cigarette in front of the movie theater. A small smile was on her lips as she recalled getting the leading part a few years back, going on set for two full months and telling herself it was probably the opportunity of a lifetime for her. She was sixteen when she was cast. She turned seventeen on set and now she was eighteen, waiting in front of the movie theater of her small town, nervous to hear everyone's thoughts on the movie.

The doors opened up, causing the girl to jump up in fear. A horde of people walked out, some with tears falling on their cheeks, some with puffy red eyes, some with their mouths wide open as they all carried a shocked expression on their faces.

Lulu contained a satisfied smirk, knowing the movie had had the impact it was supposed to have on people.

She furrowed her eyebrows in apprehension when she recognized her friends as they all walked out pretty much at the same time. Lulu bit her lip nervously when Maddy and Cassie were the first to notice her a few feet away. The two girls gasped and ran in her direction.

"That was so incredible, Lulu," Cassie said, "I loved every minute of it."

"You are the baddest bitch," Maddy jumped in, engulfing her in a hug, "Look at my fucking eyes, I cried like crazy!"

Lulu chuckled, "Thank you so much girls, I'm so happy you liked it."

Maddy and Cassie gave her a peck on the cheeks, "We're hanging out at Cassie's place, sleepover y'know. Wanna join?"

Lulu looked over at the theater's doors, noticing her sister walking out with a bunch of her friends, "Uh, I'll text you guys, is that cool? I'm gonna check what my sister's doing tonight."

"Sure!" Cassie said, "Talk to you later!"

And the two girls walked away as Lulu waited for her sister to join her. Lulu tried covering up her disappointment when she realized no one was walking out anymore and that she hadn't seen her mother, Rue or Fezco and Ashtray. But Zahia noticed.

She swung an arm over her sister's shoulders and gave her a hug, "They were probably busy or somethin'... I mean, I don't know about mom but—"

"It's alright," Lulu interrupted, "It's just... weird."

Zahia sighed, "It's okay to be sad you know. You worked so hard and this movie's blowing up all over the country, of course you'd be pissed."

Lulu shrugged her shoulders, "As long as you liked it, I'm happy."

Zahia gave her such a big smile that Lulu couldn't help but smile back just as wide, "Of course I did! You already know what I think."

Lulu nudged her arm, "Cool, cool, cool... So... what's your plan for tonight?"

Zahia looked down at her feet, trying to cover her rosy cheeks, "I was thinking I could go at a party... nothing crazy I promise!"

Lulu let out a chuckle, "Not too many people, I hope?"