Chapter One: The Shorty and The Tough Guy

Passion.

Its something that everyone should have in their lives about one thing or another. Whether its your relationships, or something you like to do, passion is what makes life worth living. It makes life exciting. 

Growing up, my brother Daichi and I were strongly encouraged by our parents to find something we were passionate about for that very reason. Our parents knew that passion is important...so we did. We went in very different directions, however. Daichi went towards sports, ending up the Captain of the Volleyball club once he got into High School and I gravitated towards music; playing the violin. The creative and the physical. Polar opposites unless you're a dancer....

Or so I thought.

But regardless, Daichi and I were raised to understand why passions were important, so we always made a point to support one another in said passions. Daichi never missed a band recital, unless there happened to be a game on that day, and vice versa I never missed a game unless a concert came up. I also made it a goal of mine to attend every practice of the Karasuno High School Volleyball club. I usually just watch, or do homework, but sometimes I help out Kiyoko Shimizu, the team manager or Ittetsu Takeda, the club advisor with whatever needs doing on behalf of the team.

Spending so much time at practice made me understand the game, and more so...made me understand why my brother was so passionate about it. If you know what you're doing, it become an art form. Strong, fluid, movements, powerful attacks...it can be beautiful.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen that out of Karasuno in a long time.

But still, I was going to every practice and every game if I could, and today was no different. I put my headphones on and was listening to a recording of our orchestra's concert piece that our advisor gave us, playing along on an invisible violin as I did so, while I walked to the gym for Volleyball practice. Despite the fact that it was my first day of school here, Daichi is a third year, so I've been coming to this gym for the past two years. I already know where it is.

I walked into the gym not bothering to look up from my invisible violin playing. It was right after school, the chances of any of the guys being here yet were-

I jumped, yanking my headphones off as I looked over to see that there was in fact, a guy standing in the middle of the court. He was tall and had black hair that swept across his deep blue eyes. He didn't look familiar to me, and seeing as I know all of the guys on the team, I figured he must either be a new recruit, or a first year like myself. The height factor told me it was the former, but looks can be deceiving.

"Sorry...I didn't know anyone else was in here." I said, pulling my headphones down around my neck before grabbing the straps of my backpack.

"Is this not where the Volleyball club meets?" He asked coolly. His voice was deep and clear...almost calming to listen to.

"No! No you're in the right place. That's why I'm here too." He cocked an eyebrow at me, which caused me to narrow my eyes at him. "You got a problem with that?"

My tone seemed to surprise him, because his face immediately transformed from skepticism to one of shock at my sudden change in attitude. I raised my eyebrows, waiting for his answer.

"No...I just figured that the girls at Karasuno had their own team."

"Oh, I'm not on the team." I said, walking over to stand directly in front of him in the middle of the court. With his immense height, and my lack thereof, he towered over me, having to look down in order to make eye contact with me. My face didn't falter though. "But if I was...I would destroy you, just as well as any guy. You got that?" He nodded and I stepped back from him, crossing my arms. "What's your name, tough guy?"